PDA

View Full Version : Is this jointer worth getting

Bob Hallowell
04-21-2009, 6:59 PM
I figure it's about 100 years old. I was told it still has the babbit brearings and the were ok. I was really interested till my dad ( He's a tool and dye maker) told me the he can't image the bearings would be good and it's a 2 1/2 hour drive for me to go look at it. It's an 8" with a 6' bed. I have a newer craftsman 6" and am always looking for a bigger jointer. What do you guys think? I asked him for more pics. this one doesn't show much.

Peter Quinn
04-21-2009, 7:13 PM
Being an avid tool junkie i'd be willing to take the ride just to look at it. Does it run? Its hard to rule it out from a picture.

Jeremy Polk
04-21-2009, 8:02 PM
I agree with Peter, I'd go to look. One thingis for sure, they don't build them like they use to, so go look. Bearings can be replaced.

Brian Gumpper
04-21-2009, 8:08 PM
Heard from folks the old machines with the square had or clamshell head can be dangerous. I would worry about that more than bearings, you can always pour new bearings.

Bob Aquino
04-21-2009, 8:35 PM
If thats the machine, it looks like its had some recent restoration work. If it is Babbitt then it could still be good, they could have been repoured or its always been well lubed. If it has a square cutter head, then that might be an issue, but no way to tell from the pix.

I would post this picture over on owwm.org in the shop and see what they come up with. Just from one picture like that they may be able to give you a manufacturer and age and some other details. Good luck.

Robert Payne
04-21-2009, 8:45 PM
I helped a friend restore an old Crescent 12" jointer a few years ago that he picked up for a song. We re-poured the Babbitt bearings and then he completed the restoration with a new motor, fresh knoves and it purrs today. I'd go for it if you're at all interested.

Chip Lindley
04-21-2009, 9:33 PM
First of all, depends on the PRICE!! The seller, no doubt, contends you are buying a piece of *Woodworking Americana*, as much as a viable machine for use in your shop!

OLD machines like this tend to take some amount of TLC! Cutter heads in babbit bearings run about half the speed of todays jointers. Repouring babbit bearings is a specialized operation akin to shoeing horses! *Just Anybody* is not equipped to do it! Square cutter heads are 2-knife, and a NoNo!. If it's a round, 4-knife head, that makes up some of the loss in cuts.per.inch. Otherwise, don't expect the smooth cuts you get with your little 6" jointer, unless you shove the boards at a snails pace!

I find that the fences of old jointers such as this are a PITA to set at any angle except 90! Their adjustment is rather hit-or-miss!

Also, I don't see any motor! I see the *original* flat-belt sheave! Do you have an overhead line drive powered by a trusty coal-fired steam engine? Hmm...many points to ponder when considering Old Iron!

Gary Radice
04-21-2009, 9:40 PM
I figure it's about 100 years old. I was told it still has the babbit brearings and the were ok. I was really interested till my dad ( He's a tool and dye maker) told me the he can't image the bearings would be good and it's a 2 1/2 hour drive for me to go look at it. It's an 8" with a 6' bed. I have a newer craftsman 6" and am always looking for a bigger jointer. What do you guys think? I asked him for more pics. this one doesn't show much.
From the pic it looks to me like more than an 8" jointer, and also it looks like it has been well tended for an old machine. I'll second Bob Aquino's suggestion that you post over at the OWWM site. You might have a chance at a real gem. Don't let the babbitt bearings scare you off. If they are in good shape and you care for them, they will last longer than you do.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
I have an old babbit bandsaw, and I strongly believe that good babbit is perfectly acceptable as a bearing. I have to agree with Chip though, I can't see a motor. Kind of a grainy photo though.

Bob Hallowell
04-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks All,
It's a RH Crescent. it comes with a 3 phase motor and yes it is set up with a flat belt. I wasn't worried about the belt or motor because I planned on replacing them. My dad could do some machining for me if needed but he was worried about the bearings. The guy wants $400 and hopefully I get some better pics tommorow.

Wes Grass
04-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Personally, I think you should hold out for at least a 24 incher ;-)

However, that looks like a combination disc/oscillating spindle sander behind it. Now *that* would be a nice toy to have.

Bob Hallowell
04-22-2009, 9:20 PM
Well I can get it for $350 but he still hasn't answered if the tables are flat and parrellel I have ask him that 3 times in emails and I didn't recieve any more Pics. He did say that it has a round cutter with 2 blades. As much as I want a bigger jointer I think I will have to pass. If I knew the tables were good I might of still bought it.

Dennis Puskar
04-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Where in Pa. is this jointer.

Dennis

Bob Hallowell
04-23-2009, 12:21 AM
It is in Ohio just west of Erie