PDA

View Full Version : Buying online

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-21-2009, 6:26 PM
Needed a carburetor fer my pick-em up.

The car parts chains want about $300 for some off brand.

Logged onto an auto parts website that claims to have all manner of parts They called me (from India).
Yup they got my carb they swear it's OEM. $200 and it's all mine.

I gave 'em an AMEX card.
I figure if I don't like what they send I'll contest the charge and be no worse off for it. Just out 5 or so days time waiting for the Fed Ex guy.

AMEX don't go online without it.

Mike Cutler
04-21-2009, 8:45 PM
I think you're okay Cliff. The part may not actually be coming from India, that's just the phone service.

I ordered front brake pads, and rotors for my truck from an online site. Same thing, I got a gentleman with a middle eastern accent on the phone.
OEM spec'd Brembo brakes and pads were on the back porch in 2 days.
According to my sis, whose in the phone biz', India takes care of a lot of the phone service answer lines and 24 hour stuff.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-22-2009, 4:23 PM
I hope so. I googled 'em while I was on the phone with the guy and found a few angry customers.

But I did the transaction anyway 'cause I still needed the part and so what if they have an aggressive business model? If the part works then, it works

Ben Franz
04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Online marketing looks like the default in the future. I buy lots of stuff this way - live 45 minutes outside Albuquerque and can't always find things locally. I've had very few problems and the only one I couldn't resolve with the seller got taken care of by protesting the charge with Visa. Guy overcharged me $70 and kept saying he had refunded to my card. There was also a dispute over an extended warranty option ($100 value) - his site listed that as included in price - I called him to verify before ordering. When the goods arrived, the extended warranty wasn't included. I was going to let it go but when he tried to stiff me for the $70, I protested both items to Visa - problem solved.

Matt Meiser
04-23-2009, 2:16 PM
I hope so. I googled 'em while I was on the phone with the guy and found a few angry customers.

I think you'll find a bad review of every product and company out there if they are big enough. I even bought something from a company with great reviews and got horrible service. Its the one's you can only find bad stuff about that you want to watch out for.