PDA

View Full Version : Help with CAD!!??

Matthew Dworman
08-02-2004, 11:39 AM
I have never used a cad program before, but I regularly use other design programs (Adobe) all the time. I have not used them for woodworking efore, and thought I'd try to download some cad demos - So far they all seem very counter-intuitive and frustrating to use! What advice do you have for simple to use cad programs - I don't need or want anything fancy as I am not building machinery here - just cabinets, etc...
Please help put me on the right track - so far I have downloaded demos of:
DeltaCad
AlibreDesign
Deco Tech
and CadStd

Thanks,
Matt

Ted Calver
08-02-2004, 1:13 PM
Matt,
I just bought a woodworking mag (can't remember which one) at Barnes and Noble that featured a review of inexpensive cad programs for woodworking. The editors choice was a product from autodesk, the makers of autocad, for around 50$. Don't recall the name of the product ( I have the full blown autocad so wasn't paying attention...also possible case of CRS). Review said it was a good 2D program. Check the autodesk web site for info.
Not much help but better than none!!
Ted

Spence DePauw
08-02-2004, 2:46 PM
The program was QuickCAD from Autodesk. I use it for what CAD I do. Takes a little learning, but no worse than any other CAD package.

Spence

John Gregory
08-02-2004, 3:37 PM
I agree that to non-cad users, all cad programs are confusing. I am working with a free one, JustCad 6.0. Probably does every I need if I ever figure it out. I guess what I need to do, is to learn some about drafting. THEN about the cad programs so that the menu options make sense. The last drafting class I took was high school, 1968. I would imagine you and I need to learn the jargon first.

Jamie Buxton
08-02-2004, 4:14 PM
Matt ---
I tried out several low-cost CAD programs for the PC, and eventually settled on DeltaCad. In my opinion, it was far easier to learn than the big Adobe programs like Illustrator.

Jamie

Ted Calver
08-02-2004, 9:42 PM
Matt,
I checked out the mag when I got home--American Woodworker (Sept), pg 74. Actually, their Editor's Choice was TurboCAD Deluxe v10 by IMSI at $150. QuickCAD was the Best Buy.
Ted

Matt Meiser
08-03-2004, 7:51 AM
I got QuickCad several months ago, based on another magazine review. I previously had a lot of work experience with Autocad and found it hard to switch to QuickCad because when I used Autocad I was used to typing in commands, which you can't do in QuickCad. A few weeks ago, I finally forced myself to create one drawing with Quickcad, and by the end of the one drawing I had a pretty good grasp.

For CAD beginners, QuickCad has different modes that simplify the menus. I haven't tried that option. I think there were some tutorials in the manual, but I haven't looked at it since I bought it.

One way to learn CAD techniques and terminology would be to take a CAD class at a local community college.

Todd Burch
08-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Matthew - take 30 minutes and go to www.sketchup.com and look at their video tutorials. It's soley what I use. It's not CAD, but that's the good news!! It's VERY intuitive. It allows as much precision as you need.

Chris Padilla
08-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Speaking of Sketch-Up, when they gonna have another sale??? :D :D :D

Wes Bischel
08-03-2004, 1:46 PM
Matt Meiser,

Try IntelliCAD - it's the cheap version of AutoCAD. I grew up on AutoCAD but can't afford it for home use. IntelliCAD is about $120, and I understand there are a few "free" versions online - older releases I think. I found a few differences, but it allows you to type commands and has the same single stroke short-cuts as AutoCAD.

Matt Dworman,
Unfortunately, IntelliCAD has the same steep learning curve as some of the other CAD programs. Sorry.

Wes

Bart Sharp
08-05-2004, 10:39 AM
If cost is an issue (and isn't it always?), most CAD programs have discounts available for people who will use the software for non-commercial purposes. For example, I'm a huge fan of Pro/Engineer. It's a full-service CAD package that is used a lot in industry. The thing I love about it is that is completely associative. With non-associative programs, if you draw a chest of drawers and then decide that the whole thing should be six inches taller, you have to go back and redraw all of the drawers to fit the new case dimensions. In Pro/E (and a few others), when you change the case height all of the other detail parts are automatically regenerated based on the parameters you defined when you created them. Want to change a tenon from 1/2" thick to 5/8"? Change the tenon and watch the mortise automatically change to match it. It makes it much faster to create and evaluate the impact of different design alternatives.

The best part is that if you are a hobbiest who is going to use the program for non-commercial purposes, you can get a package that normally sells for as much as a midsize car for $150. It does have a learning curve, but for someone who is familiar with CAD basics it might be worth a look.

No affiliation, just a fan.

Wes Bischel
08-05-2004, 3:52 PM
Bart,

Do tell - where could I get that deal on Pro/E? I should learn it sooner or later. :rolleyes:

Wes

Don Selke
08-10-2004, 2:48 AM
No CAD program is going to be easy for a person that has never used a CAD program before. Before you purchase or download any CAD program, make sure that you have enough memory and hard drive space in your program to support the system.
I have been using DesignCAD 3D Max version 14 (They now have a new version 15) for about six months. The program came with a CD tutorial which is excillent. Prior to that program I was using Delta CAD professional. I still have that software on my computer but wanted to try something more challenging. The hands on tutorial that came with Design CAD taught me more in one hour then what I tried to teach myself by reading the book in weeks.
What ever CAD program you choose, I would purchase the hands on tutorial for the program.
Hope I did not confuse you further, They say you can not teach a old dog new tricks but this Old Dog is doing OK with the Design CAD and tutorial.

Bart Sharp
08-16-2004, 8:43 PM
Bart,

Do tell - where could I get that deal on Pro/E? I should learn it sooner or later. :rolleyes:

Wes

Sorry for the slow response, I've been on the middle of a move and haven't had net access for a while. I forget the URL right off the top of my head, let me take a look and get back to you.

Bart

Bart Sharp
08-16-2004, 8:50 PM
Okay, the URL for the site you want to look at is a mile long. You can get there by going to http://www.proestudent.com/default.asp?action=selectLocation and selecting your country. The product I was talking about is in the middle of the nine options, called PTC Wildfire 2.0 SE for Personal Use.

The deal has changed since I looked last (a little less than a year ago). The price has gone up, and what is included has gone down, but you still get a $5,000 CAD package for $300.

Wes Bischel
08-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Bart,

Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm surprised you got back to me at all considering you're in the middle of a move! I've been considering some new software for a while - the site should get me off my butt and make a decision.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Wes

Rick Fitzpatrick
08-17-2004, 2:35 AM
Howdy everyone! Newbie here, first post. Since I am a CAD detailer, I saw this thread and thought I'd throw my .02 in.
Normally, I am using Autocad 2002. Does everything I need, but I just got Quickcad, and it seems it will do most everything you would need. Might take a while to get the learning curve up, but I tell ya, vector based is the way to go.
Plotting to scale is always a plus. Anyway, just a quick introduction, as its late.
I found this site by accident and am delighted. I am a woodworker, with about 20 years experience in a high end store fixture manufacturer(Macys stuff is high end I think:D ). The last 10 as a senior draftsman/detailer, board and CAD. Love woodworking, have a home shop where I build all kinds of stuff with lots of different materials. Last year I moved to Coos Bay Oregon, where I went to work at a local high end cabinet shop as a detailer too. Now I am concentrating on my own shop, and getting my shop skills back in shape. I design and fabricate a lot of acoustical and studio fixtures for recording studios, as I also have my own 32 trk studio, which I have fabricated a lot of stuff for. Well, enough about me. I'll be around here alot. Looking forward to learning and sharing.

fitZ:)

Jim Becker
08-17-2004, 10:42 AM
The latest issue of Fine Woodworking has a very nice article on CAD software, including evaluations of several programs. The author, after testing, felt that DesignCAD gave the best set of features, ease of use/training, etc.

Jerry Heiser
08-19-2004, 8:09 PM
Matthew,
I just received my issue of Fine Woodworking today. They did a review of 5 CAD programs with budget in mind. They range from $40-99.95. The pick of the litter was DesignCad 3D Max v14 for $99.95. Amazon has it for $43. I checked out the web site and there's a v15 out already. Give it a look.

Jerry