PDA

View Full Version : DP: Grizzly 7944 vs Delta 17-940L?

William Diaz
04-21-2009, 2:44 PM
I am in the market for a DP and am considering a Grizzly 7944 vs Delta 17-940L DP. With shipping Grizzly is about 50 bucks cheaper, but I can stretch 50 bucks more at my local Lowes for a Delta 17-940L DP. The reason I have narrowed it down to these two are the variation of speeds, but I'm not closed for any other DPs out there if they are within my range.

glenn bradley
04-21-2009, 4:23 PM
I think you mean 17-950L. I have one, it's been OK. I have had two warranty issues in one year. The bearings went prematurely and Delta had it a month to swap them out (shoulda done it myself). The table raising mechanism started to eat itself but those parts were shipped to me post-haste and were a breeze to replace. No troubles since.

The low speed on the Delta is 250 and I find that fine for even large circle cutting. The Griz goes down to 140 so if you have a special need that would factor in. The Delta table cannot be beat. I love the ease of tilt forward and back. Wish they had put as much thought into tilting left and right which is better than most DPs but still could be better. All in all I really like the DP. My 1940's Delta is better made and much smoother running but has NO modern conveniences so it is just a hole-maker.

It would be good if a Griz owner could give a hands on review as well to help with your decision.