PDA

View Full Version : Free plane handle pattern for the 19th.C.style plane

george wilson
04-21-2009, 12:04 PM
If anyone would care to have it,this is the original sketch for the 19th.C. plane I posted last night. In actual size,it is 4 7/8" from the extreme lower left hand corner,to the extreme upper left hand tip of the horn.

This has been laying around for some time,so it is a bit dirty and tattered. I didn't expect to publish it.The lighter lines,of course,show where to start the contours.

I can't recall how the front of the pattern got cut off,but obviously,there is a 45 degree angle all the way down to the sole of the plane.

There are 2 "wings" added onto each side of the handle to complete the 2 1/2" width of the iron. The handle itself is 1" thick.Each wing is 3/4" thick.

All I ask is that if you use the pattern,get it as close to right as possible. Compare this with the photo of the long plane to see how it actually looks,and what various lines do.

george wilson
02-28-2012, 8:01 PM
Here's a scalable handle very similar to the wooden plane,Leigh.This is from the infill jack plane. I didn't use this handle on the wooden one,but I tended to draw it with much the same curvatures. Just add the curve on the front of the wooden plane and you've got it.

Print it out and enlarge it.

Chris Griggs
02-28-2012, 8:10 PM
Cool! Thanks for posting this George.

Kevin Grady
02-28-2012, 9:22 PM
George,

Thank you very much for posting this. Although, you are feeding my growing addiction to making my own tools, to the point that my wife wonders when I'm actually going make something with the tools I have :)

george wilson
02-28-2012, 9:32 PM
P.S.: Don't forget to add 3/4" of wood to the BOTTOM of the handle to go into the mortise in the plane's body.

Christian Castillo
02-28-2012, 9:43 PM
That pattern is gorgeous, thank you for the contribution George.

Leigh Betsch
02-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks a bunch George. I'll give it a try, let me know if get it right.

Peter Pedisich
02-28-2012, 11:50 PM
George,

Thanks so much...very generous of you. You inspire with your body of work, and now are giving us cheat sheets!

Peter

Niels Cosman
02-29-2012, 2:27 AM
Beautiful lines George!

george wilson
06-27-2012, 5:48 PM
Here is the closed type plane handle. Hope this helps you out.

You will need to design the front part f the handle,as this one was made for an infill plane,Matthew.

Search for an 18th.C. style plane by George Wilson for an open style plane handle.

Matthew N. Masail
06-28-2012, 1:51 AM
George,

Thanks so much...very generous of you. You inspire with your body of work, and now are giving us cheat sheets!

Peter

What he said! I'll do my best to do a good job even though it's my first attempt at a tote.

Matthew N. Masail
06-28-2012, 3:05 AM
Just made a quick mock up, very comfortable

george wilson
06-28-2012, 8:26 AM
Please note that the faint lines near the contours show how far I rounded the handle. Some people like to blend their rounded contours into the flat sides of the handle. I prefer to leave the lines crisp where they meet the flats. It is better sculpture.

Matthew N. Masail
06-28-2012, 10:13 AM
I downloaded and printed close-ups of the handle on your jointer, I hope you don't mind. I will work with it, but ultimately go with whatever is more comfortable.

george wilson
06-28-2012, 12:04 PM
It is there for you only if you want it.

Matthew N. Masail
06-28-2012, 4:15 PM
I meant about how much to round the tote or keep the sculpture, I already made a mock up and love it. I can't thank you enough for it.