PDA

View Full Version : Pneumatic Ratchet Wrench

Mike OMelia
04-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I am looking for a powerful (high torque) impact ratchet wrench (if there is such a thing). The one I found at the Borg is useless for my application. I saw one at HF that was rated at 140 ft-lbs, but I am not sure that is good enough. Now, full disclosure. This is not for a woodworking issue, its for my car brake calipers (getting them off)

Mike

Todd Burch
04-21-2009, 11:43 AM
IR (Ingersol Rand) makes some nice high torque units. Try WW Grainger.

James K Peterson
04-21-2009, 11:44 AM
If I understand what you want, then you want an pneumatic impact wrench. Like an Ingersoll Rand 236 - 1/2" impact. I have had mostly IR's and they've been great (you can even rebuild/repair them).
If you are talking about a about a pneumatic ratchet, they don't get much over 60ft-lbs and to be honest I wouldn't want one much over 50, because they can be really hard on the writs.

IR's are great and you can get some of them used or on fleebay for a good price. But if you're dealing with a stuck brake caliper, try shooting some PB blaster on it and let sit overnight. If that doesn't do it then you can try heating it (heat gun or a torch).

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll get

Pete Shermet
04-21-2009, 11:44 AM
As a former technical trainer in the auto industry I have never taken caliper bolts out with an impact gun especially one rated over 140 ft lbs.
The calipers are usually retained by some kind of torx fastener, keep in mind you will have to transmit that torque through the socket or more likely torx bit and I have serious doubt that the bit or fastener will hold up. Remember if you break it or strip it you still have to take it apart.
If you're looking at a gun with power try looking at the IR (Ingersoll Rand) line up.
http://www.irtools.com/tools/impacts_ratchets/impacts/
Good luck and when you put it all back together remember the "never seize"
Best Regards
Pete

Mike OMelia
04-21-2009, 11:48 AM
These are regular hex bolts and nuts. Its the rear set I am having trouble with. (no torx)

What is PB?

Mike

Rick Peek
04-21-2009, 1:43 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about the caliper bracket bolts. I use a breaker bar to crack them loose. Once loose a regular air ratchet to wind them out. If you are truly talking about the caliper retaining bolts,you
should never need an impact to get them out. Most are only 8-10 mm
bolts with fine thread. If you really want a quality air ratchet,the USA
built Snap -On is the only way to go. Being in the auto repair industry
for 35 years, I have found these to be the longest lasting high torque
units availible.

Mike OMelia
04-21-2009, 2:21 PM
Rick, they are 14 mm nuts. The problem is I am working from above, and not below, so a breaker bar is out. But, I guess I could buy a longer ratchet wrench.

Thanks!

Mike

Michael Wildt
04-21-2009, 3:25 PM
Or just get a piece of pipe that fits over the rachet handle. You can cut it to length your self.

Please do remember to torque the bolts to specifications when you put it all together.

On the note of pneumatic ratchet wrench, then these can be quite dangerous when it gets to torquing on reassembly. Certain things are meant to be hand tightened. Pneumatic tools have their usages but keep their huge force in mind when you work.

Paul Ryan
04-21-2009, 5:54 PM
With respect to Rick. I have to disagree about the snap on tools for a DYI home shade tree mechanic. The snap on is over priced for what they are. They last a long time and I have one in my tool box. But for someone that will only use this tool a couple of times per year buy a craftsman. I know, I know we hate crapsman tools, but many of their air tools are made by IR, they last a long time and can be repaired if necessary. The nice thing about the craftsman tools is they are about 30% off the price of the IR tools from the tool truck guys. But be careful as others have said taking them out. And as a DYI guy do your self a favor and make sure you hand start the bolt first and then tighten it with a rachet. It could save you lots of headachs.

Randal Stevenson
04-21-2009, 7:34 PM
These are regular hex bolts and nuts. Its the rear set I am having trouble with. (no torx)

What is PB?

Mike

PB Blaster, Brand of a spray that works better then WD40. Can be found at auto parts stores, Lowe's (HD?), etc.
There are others as well that work better then the current WD40. But people use what they have access to.

Rick, they are 14 mm nuts. The problem is I am working from above, and not below, so a breaker bar is out. But, I guess I could buy a longer ratchet wrench.

Thanks!

Mike

Using a breaker bar is out? Only if your trying to use a long one. A 15 or 18" one from Sears may work, or the old trick of if your using a 3/8" drive and it won't turn, try uping to 1/2" drive.