PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sorby Tools

Sean Ackerman NY
04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to take a quick poll and see what your favorite Sorby tools are and which you'd recommend to a fellow turner? ;)

Kirk Miller
04-21-2009, 11:35 AM
I like my tools like I like my beer.........FREE.....OK I couldn't resist. I don't have many Sorby tools. I have 2 Sorby hollowing tools the big ones. I think if I had it to do over again I would have purchased the smaller set. They are all right, but I hav'nt worked with any other hollowers, and I am still learning on the proper use of them.

Mike Peace
04-21-2009, 11:45 AM
The Sorby Spiraling and Texturing System is my favorite. It is pricey and I would only recommend it to someone whose basic turning skills have progressed to the point that they are ready for embellishing. Otherwise it is just another expensive toy to distract a turner from improving on their fundamental skills.

Greg Haugen
04-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Sean,
I must admit I don't have very many Sorby tools. Mostly because I like the differences in the shape of the tool, handle, and cost of Hamlet/Packard tools. Sorby's are far too often over priced compared to the competition, I think. For example their power sanding drill mandrels are usually $30 to $45 for the same thing that doesn't cost any more than $15 any where else. What I do like however are their parting tools. Their parting tools are different than most others available. Their 1/16" thin tools have a nice handle on them and they're one of the only companies that offer "fluted" parting tools. I also like some of the "specialty" tools like the texturing/spiraling tool.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-21-2009, 1:22 PM
Favorite Sorbys:

3/8" bowl gouge. It's the only bowl gouge I have.
1-3/8" skew. Excellent heavy skew. Ground with the Alan Lacer grind.

Sorbys are a bit overpriced. BUT, I have many skews, from Craftsman, Shopsmith, Harbor Frieght, Marples and some other name brand I can't remember. None of them take and hold an edge like the Sorby. It may be that the Sorby is a really big skew, but it's by far my favotite skew.

I really love the Craftsman too, I use it when cutting close to the chuck or tailstock. So if I make and error, I ruin a cheap tool.:o

Chris Rae
04-21-2009, 2:08 PM
My favorite Sorby is probably my thin parting tool (not the fluted one, don't have that). Also, I just got the new mini spiraling and texturing set, I like it a lot. Other than those I have a small spindle gouge that I didn't like and reground it with a detail gouge profile, now I love it. Generally I agree with the others, over priced next to Hamlet and some others.

Paul Atkins
04-21-2009, 3:25 PM
Up till a few weeks ago my favorite was the 3/4" roughing gouge. Then I got a deal on a lathe, duplicator, outboard stand and 29 Sorby tools. Most of the tools were unused. My favorite now is the 1 1/4" roughing gouge, but the huge bowl gouge looks like it might be the next one as soon as I sharpen it.

Gary Max
04-21-2009, 3:39 PM
Every project starts off with my Sorby 1 1/4" roughing gouge.

Sean Ackerman NY
04-21-2009, 5:11 PM
Thanks Guys! Keep it coming!

Hamlet tools as well huh?

Ryan Baker
04-21-2009, 7:28 PM
I have a couple Sorby bowl gouges that I like quite a lot. I have assorted other Sorby tools as well, and I guess I am pretty happy with all of them. Sorby prices are high, but you won't have any complaints about the tools themselves. Wait for the sales (Woodcraft has 20% off this month), and you can pick them up for reasonable prices.

Of course there are a lot of other really good competitors out there too.

Doug Reesor
04-21-2009, 8:51 PM
My Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge trumps all my other tools followed closely by closely by my 1" round nose scraper - but I am open to using any chisel my wife gives me for Christmas or birthdays.

Doug

Richard Madison
04-21-2009, 8:58 PM
5/8" bowl gouge, bought on sale several years ago. Single most used tool, so it is getting a bit short.

Jim Kountz
04-21-2009, 11:38 PM
My favorite Sorby tools are the ones that say "Thompson" on them!!

Cyril Griesbach
04-22-2009, 9:14 AM
I'm with you, Jim, Love my Thompson tools. My favorite Sorby tools are the ones I sold.

Al Wasser
04-22-2009, 10:07 AM
I have 3 of the pricey Sorby tools - 1/2" bowl gouge, heavy scraper, and 1/2 spindle gouge. They all get some use but are not the ones I go to first.

Scott Conners
04-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I only have 3 Sorbys - 3/4 roughing, 3/8 fingernail, and a 3/4 oval skew. The skew I wouldn't buy again, I definitely prefer square skews, my big Thompson skew is awesome. I use the 3/4 roughing gouge for pretty much all my spindle roughing, works great.
I *LOVE* my 3/8 fingernail! Something about the steel and the shape just work. It holds it's edge really really well, and sharpens to a smoother more polished edge than my Thompson detail gouge. My current production is almost all leather tools, where I'm turning 6" rosewood spindles that have to be perfectly smooth and polished, and I spend hours most days with that one tool in my hand. Unless I rush or make a mistake, I rarely have to sand anymore, and I can make any shape I want almost by thought it seems.

Sean Ackerman NY
04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Guys how about Hamlet, Thompson, Lee Valley, etc? We don't JUST have to stick with Sorby. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Marc Himes
04-22-2009, 7:49 PM
I like my 3/8" bowl gouge from Sroby and my Hamlet 5/8" bowl gouge. I have never owned a Thompson tool, but they are certainly popular on this forum.

Marc Himes

Dean Thomas
04-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Sean, I can tell you that my former favorite Sorby tool was a 1/2" spindle gouge. It was my go to for so much. Jim Kountz was reading my mind. :) After my Thompson 3/8" spindle gouge came to live, the only reason my 1/2" comes out of its pocket is so that another turner can use it! Still a really good tool, but the Thompson is just that much better, IMO.

And how 'bout my LEAST favorite Sorby tool? 3/4" oval bodied skew. Cuts nice enough, but it's a pain to sharpen or hone. The stories that I've heard about its development indicate that it was really not what the designer ordered, but they made it anyhow and have sold a bunch of them anyhow. True, it does not easily dig into the tool rest like a traditional square-edged, rectangular-sectioned skew, but the sharpening challenges mean that it's a rare day when I take it off the wall.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-23-2009, 2:00 PM
Least favorite Sorby is my spindlemaster. I keep trying to use it, and keep putting it back. I refuse to admit to myself I bought a worthless tool.
Save your money on this one.