PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a good beginners pen turning setup?

Mark Garc NYC
04-21-2009, 10:09 AM
I just got into woodworking recently and have been really loving working with my tools and creating usable items. I've stuck mostly to boxes and tables but would love to try pen turning.

What would you guys recommend for an entry level turning setup?

Also what is needed to begin engraving?

David Walser
04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Mark,

A number of retailers have starter kits for pen turners. Which one is right for you depends on a number of factors, such as do you have a lathe already, do you have any tools, etc.

Here's a link to Craft Supplies USA's pen turning starter kits. It's just a starting place: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Starter_Sets?Args= (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Starter_Sets?Args=)

Something to know about CSUSA and pen turning: They introduced the pen kit to America. They still provide a wide variety, if not the widest variety, of kits. None of this is to suggest that CSUSA is the only place to get pen kits, tools, and supplies. There are lots of good vendors.

In addition to a starter set (which should include a pen mandrel, bushings for the kits you'll be using, 5 - 10 kits, a like number of pen blanks to turn, and a "pen mill"), you'll need a lathe and a grinder to sharpen your tools with. If you already have a grinder (or even if you don't), a sharpening jig similar to the Oneway Wolverine system will be a great help. (Note: of the systems currently available for dry grinders, I prefer the Tru-Grind system from Woodcut.) Here's a link to CSUSA's sharpening page: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening?Args= As with the starter kits, this is just a starting place. There are lots of other vendors.

Also, many starter kits include "pen turning tools". These are just smaller versions of standard spindle turning tools. You don't need them. I bought such a kit several years ago (I forget from where) and have never used it. I've found my "full size" turning tools work just find for pens. For me, the pen turning tools were a waste of money.

Rob Young
04-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I just got into pen turning a few months ago and did it in a piecemeal fashion instead of buying one of the starter kits.

Obviously skip anything you already have such as lathe or tools, etc.

1) lathe - got mine, a Turncrafter Pro, used from eBay. It was nearly new in the box. A little more than $100. :) If are getting the lathe new I suggest you go with one that has a #2 Morse taper instead of the smaller #1. And get the biggest lathe you can. In my case I stuck with the smaller (although some time I'll be getting the bed extension) because of shop size restrictions.

2) tools - go with HSS (High Speed Steel). I did not get a pen turners kit which is usually three (small spindle gouge, small skew and small scraper) but instead got an 8 piece set, sorta medium size, from Harbor Freight. Yes, I said Harbor Freight. With coupons and what not they were about $20 and they are working pretty well for me. On a side note, I have reground all the bevels and edges to angles that seem to work better for me and knocked the corners off the skew so it is not exactly square and not exactly oval. As time passes I will be replacing the most used tools with higher quality ones but these HSS ones are holding and edge quite well. Turned walnut, oak (red and white), ash, maple, PR castings, rosewood, padauk and a handful of other woods with no problems.

3) grinder, wheel(s) and sharpening rig. If you go with HSS tools, you have a little more flexability in the grinder speed. Everybody says go with a slow speed grinder (1700rpm or so) but with HSS you will not ruin the temper if the edge gets blue'd a little bit. Hi-carbon steel, yes, but not HSS. You can make HSS brittle with rapid quenching so don't do that. I am using the 6" 3400rpm grinder I already had, just replaced one of the wheels with the 120 grit white one from Woodcraft. Works fine for me. Built a sharpening jig that looks like the Wolverine style out of plywood. Used that for a while then saw the Technitool version for $89 and got that. Works great for my skew! I'm using the skew much more now that I can get it good and sharp easily.

4) pen mandrel - if you belong to a local turning club or woodworking club see if they have discounts with any stores in your area. For example, I get 10% off at the Woodcraft store about 30 miles from me and 10% off at another store that has a good hardwood selection and is a PSI re-seller. So I bought my mandrel (the adjustable kind, PSI calls it the Maxi-mandrel) from them. Eventually you may want to go "mandrell-less" and I may do that sometime in the near future but it is much easier if you start out with a mandrel and a light touch setting it up.

5) Drill press - I already had a benchtop drill press so for most blank drilling I use it. Made my own blank vice from an 8" screw clamp. Cut notches in the jaws so they can hold round, or semi-round blanks as well as "square" ones. I also picked up a 1/2" drill chuck so for longer blanks I'm using the lathe.

6) Pen mill - Again, I used my 10% discount at the PSI reseller to get a kit. Go with the kit that has multiple shafts instead of just buying a 7mm kit. And I got the steel cutter head instead of the carbide. Works fine, but I have honed it a couple of times.

7) Pen insertion tool - don't bother. Make or improvise this one.

8) Pen press - don't bother. Make or improvise this one. Bench vice with wooden jaws, drill press, your lathe, quick clamp all work. If you start doing 100's of pens a week, then think about dedicated equipment.

9) finishing - sanding wood to 400 or 600 grit (because I happen to have a big stack of 600 grit paper) Acrylics I'm running to 2000 grit with wet dry and the HUT polish. I tried a few different finishes but I'm pretty happy with CA/BLO finish for wood pens and a careful wet sand and plastic polish for acrylic. A couple good videos around on the CA/BLO technique and LOTs of variations in the application. Also using the HUT PPP sticks as the final step on wood blanks after the CA. Been very happy.

Lots more little crap here and there but you get the idea.

And one other thing, check out www.penturners.org (http://www.penturners.org) and their forum and library.

Joe Scarfo
04-21-2009, 2:50 PM
If you're in NYC.. keep an eye on craigs list. Soon enough someone will be getting out of the pen turning and you can pick up their set up.

Good Luck
Joe