PDA

View Full Version : Disolving Epoxy Glue

Scott C. Williams
04-21-2009, 8:42 AM
I have an antique walnut dresser that appears the previous owner epoxied the top to the dresser frame. Because the top could not move with the seasonal humidity changes it split. I would like to repair this but I am not sure how to disolve the glued joint without damaging the dresser. If anyone has a method or any suggestions please comment. Thank you.

Todd Burch
04-21-2009, 9:36 AM
High heat usually works well on softening epoxy.

What is your plan of attack for how to repair? Remove the top, glue and clamp the split closed, refinish, and then reattach in a proper fashion?

Hank Knight
04-21-2009, 12:29 PM
What Todd said. Use a heat gun and heat the joint gently by playing the gun back and forth over its full length. Eventually the joint and will warm up enough for the glue to release (IIRC, somewhere between 150 and 180 degrees for epoxy). Keep the heat gun moving; if you leave it in one place too long, you may damage the wood.

Hank

Scott C. Williams
04-21-2009, 4:38 PM
Yes, my plan is to remove and repair the top then install it correctly.

Howard Acheson
04-21-2009, 6:03 PM
The only thing that will work is heat. Use a heat gun to soften the epoxy and then give it a whack with a rubber mallet.

If the table top is glued all around the aprons, then you will have to work on a part at a time. Heat a section and insert a chisel to open and hold the glue joint open. Then move over a few inches and do it again. Work your way around the perimeter that way.