PDA

View Full Version : Which Lathe?

Terry Rothwell
04-21-2009, 8:29 AM
I have made up my mind to buy a new lathe. I really like the Jet 1220VS with the option to add a bed extension later down the road. I have also been looking at a Shopfox 1758, it is 16" swing with 43" between centers including stand and digital tach. They are very close in price and the Shopfox has more capabilities it seems. Any opinions on either machine. Thanks, Terry.

tom martin
04-21-2009, 8:53 AM
Good morning Terry,
There is a good deal in the classified section right now. It's a nova dvr with a LOT of extras! Same capacity you were looking for in a great lathe!
tom

Terry Rothwell
04-21-2009, 9:35 AM
I saw that Tom,its alittle more than I can come up with plus I would have to travel to PA to get it. A lot of goodies in that package though. Thanks, Terry.

jason lambert
04-21-2009, 12:58 PM
The Jet is alot more popular, if that counts for anything.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2009, 1:10 PM
Terry,

If I was in your shoes, I'd get the Jet1220 VS.

It's low speed is 250 rpm. The low speed on the Shopfox is 600 rpm. That slower low speed will make a dramatic difference when you put an out-of-balanced rough blank on there!

2ndly...the ShopFox shows it has an articulating arm on the tool rest. There are a couple of members here that have the Grizzley version of this type of tool rest and they had the tool rest break.

3rd....the Jet 1220VS has a greater adjustment for speed than the 10 speeds listed on the ShopFox.

JMHO...

alex carey
04-21-2009, 2:41 PM
This is not from experience but just from looking at the lathes and the price. The Shopfox seems to be a Knock off of the Jet 1642, and a poor one at that. Roughing a 14" blank on a lathe with 600rpm as the lowest speed, a weak tool rest, and a light weight lathe for it's size just seems a bit too dangerous. This might be fine for spindles and small bowls but it just don't seem worth it.

Terry Rothwell
04-21-2009, 2:49 PM
Thanks guys, Im really liking the Jet. The only thing that I liked better about the ShopFox was its 14" swing over the 12" on the Jet. Im not much of a bowl turner so the 12" should do just fine for me. Called Woodcraft today and it looks like Im gonna have to wait till mid June for the Jet. Thanks again for the help, Terry.

alex carey
04-21-2009, 2:57 PM
Are there no other places that have it in stock. You could also check Rockler and Amazon if you were so inclined.

Alex

Thom Sturgill
04-21-2009, 4:05 PM
I bought my 1220VS from Packard Woodworks. They stock them, and were able to ship UPS rather than freight. That saved several bucks on the price. Packard also had the extension cheaper than anyone else that I checked.

Gordon Seto
04-21-2009, 4:06 PM
The Jet 1220 VS is the nicest lathe you can get in that price range. Its slowest speed is 100 (not 250 rpm as the literature says).
If you want to go to full size lathe, there is not much option until you get the Nova 1624 or Jet 1642.
The Shopfox 1758 is identical to the Grizzly, except color. It has 16" swing and outboard capacity to turn larger. BUT the minimum speed is 600 rpm. 16" at 600 rpm is 28.57 Miles per hour; that is too fast for even well balanced turning. That is dangerously fast for that capacity. Its like driving a fast car at 200 MPH, but the braking system is designed for under 100 miles. The Reeves Drive is high maintenance and doesn't run as smooth as EVS.
One of our Club member had this lathe. It had major problem while brand new. Grizzly warranty took care of it. The same problem re-occurred on the 13th month; he didn't think it is worth to fix it out of his pocket. Grizzly has only one year warranty. Don't just look at the initial price.

Alan Trout
04-21-2009, 4:22 PM
The new Delta 12+" swing midi lathe looks like it is going to be a heck of a midi lath. More swing horse power and appear that it will be in the same price range as the Jet. Will be available in both VS and Non VS models. Just another option to muddy the water. Supposed to be out real soon. There are some out for testing now from my understanding.

Good Luck

Alan

Jason Clark2
04-21-2009, 4:40 PM
I had the Grizzly version of this lathe and I would not recommend it to anyone that's even remotely considering doing bowls for all of the reasons already stated.

Jason

Alan Trout
04-22-2009, 9:38 AM
I just got an e-mail about the delta lathe. Here is the info. Just thought it might be a good option. Check it out. http://www.deltaportercable.com/lathes/midi_lathe.html

Good Luck

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2009, 3:05 PM
I would not even take a second look at the Shop Fox especially if you want to do bowls.