PDA

View Full Version : recent work

Jason Clark2
04-21-2009, 1:22 AM
I've been busy with work and family lately but finally found the time to get a few pieces finished in time for a show 2 weeks ago.

1) Olive Hollow form with Desert Ironwood collar and Turquoise inlay. This piece has a round bottom and rests on a ring turned from Desert Ironwood.

2) Norfolk Island pine bowl. This was cored from a larger piece of NIP, the larger piece has yet to be finished.

3) Redwood lace burl nested set of 3. This set was turned from one of the pieces I scored off of Craigslist (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102931&highlight=redwood+burl) All 3 pieces have round bottoms, the set rests on a ring turned from Box Elder Burl.

4) Box Elder burl pedestal box. Box Elder burl body and lid, Walnut pedestal and finial. There is a small finial on the underside of the lid as well.

Thanks for looking,
Jason

David Walser
04-21-2009, 1:30 AM
Jason,

Those pieces are all wonderful! I'm not sure which is my favorite. If I had to choose, based just on the pictures, it might be the nested set. I love the wood.

I hope your show went well.

David

Chris Rae
04-21-2009, 1:39 AM
Those are all awesome pieces. Beautiful woods and beautiful workmanship, very classy!

Rich Boehlke
04-21-2009, 1:54 AM
Great stuff, Jason. I really like the burl but then I really like the NIP bowl too but then the nested set is really cool and that olive HF is terrific. Heck, I like them all, hope picking a favorite isn't mandatory.

Dewey Torres
04-21-2009, 2:22 AM
I vote number one BC of the inlay "duh" but outside of my inlay fetish I would pick #4 for over all complete piece! Nicely done sir!

Jeff Nicol
04-21-2009, 7:09 AM
Jason, Those are some very nice turnings and the finish on them is great! I really like the NFI bowl as the knots are just right! Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Sean Troy
04-21-2009, 8:58 AM
Hard to pick just one. They all look amazing !!

Steve Schlumpf
04-21-2009, 9:41 AM
Beautiful work Jason! Hope your show went well! All of these have beautiful wood, great forms and finish! I do like the nested set as the wood is amazing! Very nice work!

Larry Marley
04-21-2009, 9:44 AM
Very nice.

Larry

Robert McGowen
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Those are some very nice pieces, Jason! Like the other posters, it is hard for me to pick a favorite.

Mark Burge
04-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Really nice work. I especially like the pine. How did you manage keeping the pith from splitting?

charlie knighton
04-21-2009, 2:22 PM
very nice

finished in time for a show 2 weeks ago.

how did the show go????

Bob Hallowell
04-21-2009, 2:31 PM
Wow! those are all top notch!

alex carey
04-21-2009, 2:31 PM
those are all really great. Your picture taking is quite good also. I like your Background. The Norfolk bowl is my favorite. Nicely done.

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2009, 3:04 PM
Beautiful Jason. Well done on all.

Tim Cleveland
04-21-2009, 3:22 PM
Beautiful work, Jason. I especially like the NIP bowl, can't wait to see the other one. Hope the show went well.

Tim

David Walser
04-21-2009, 3:59 PM
...Your picture taking is quite good also. I like your Background. ...

Jason has been the photographer for the Arizona Woodturners Association for the last 2 or 3 years. In addition to being a superb turner, he's also a talented photographer (one of his landscapes sold at the Desert Woodturning Roundup charity auction last February). He's also young, married to a young and beautiful wife, and has wonderful children. If he weren't such a decent sort, we'd all be so jealous we couldn't stand him. Fortunately, none of us are petty in that way.

Jason Clark2
04-21-2009, 4:21 PM
Thanks for the kind words everybody.

The show was disappointing and had me worried for quite a while that it was going to be a complete bust. I finally did end up making 3 sales late in the afternoon. Lots of people checking out my booth and lots of compliments but nobody is buying anything due to the economy.

The NIP and 3 similar Box Elder Burl pedestal boxes were sold to one couple, 2 pens went to a second customer, and small olive box and a small olive bowl went to a 3rd customer. Had the economy been better I'm confident I would have done 3-4X what I actually did.

Thanks
Jason

Maylon Harvey
04-21-2009, 9:38 PM
Jason, they all are beautiful but my favorite is the NIP

Toney Robertson
04-21-2009, 9:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words everybody.

The show was disappointing and had me worried for quite a while that it was going to be a complete bust. I finally did end up making 3 sales late in the afternoon. Lots of people checking out my booth and lots of compliments but nobody is buying anything due to the economy.

The NIP and 3 similar Box Elder Burl pedestal boxes were sold to one couple, 2 pens went to a second customer, and small olive box and a small olive bowl went to a 3rd customer. Had the economy been better I'm confident I would have done 3-4X what I actually did.

Thanks
Jason

All of the pieces were very nice but the NIP my favorite.

It would be great if you could bank compliments wouldn't it? Maybe when the economy turns things will pick up.

Toney

Jim Kountz
04-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Wonderful work, the nested bowls are really nice!! Well done all around!!

Jason Clark2
04-22-2009, 12:12 AM
My favorite was a woman who said: "If I were rich, you'd be rich."

Jason

Jarrod McGehee
04-22-2009, 2:24 AM
Those sure are quite spectacular. all of them

Martin Braun
04-22-2009, 3:47 PM
Which show did you do Jason?

They are all good! I really liked the box. I need to find out more on how you did the lid, and I assume you did a rim for it to sit on?

Bill Bolen
04-22-2009, 5:26 PM
Beautiful pieces all! I hope the show went very well!...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2009, 5:38 PM
My favorite was a woman who said: "If I were rich, you'd be rich."

Jason
ROFLOL ........ that is great! Never quite heard it put that way but it is a winner! Thanks!

Jason Clark2
04-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Artists at the Arboretum at Boyce Thompson Arboretum sponsored by the Soroptimist International Gold Canyon.

The lid sits on a small ledge inside the "cup". There's about a 50/50 chance I'll be demoing this at the July AWA meeting.

Jason

Martin Braun
04-24-2009, 7:49 PM
I think the last time some club members were there they said that it was a tough crowd. Not a lot of buyers. Something about people not believing that they had turned a hollow form that was so light to hold, and well finished.