PDA

View Full Version : Incra ultra lite jig clamping

Alan Lilly
04-21-2009, 1:05 AM
I bought an incra ultra lite jig and I'm curious what you guys think about how I should clamp it to my table. I explain more detail in a video clip on my blog...

http://panofish.net/2009-04-20_Incra_Jig

Tom Veatch
04-21-2009, 1:28 AM
The way I did it was to set the carrier board where I wanted it, drill two through holes, install threaded inserts in the holes in the table and use stud type knobs through the holes in the carrier board into the inserts to clamp the carrier board to the table.

John Lucas
04-21-2009, 8:48 AM
Clever use of video. Tom's method is the one I have used. How far out the base is placed is not a matter of how far the unit can extend but how comfortable you will be when operating the unit. Your outfeed table places you further out than I would want. You have to realize that when doing any Incra router operation, you are constantly operating the clamp and working on the material at the router. Comfort is job 1. There is nothing to prevent you from placing a number of threaded inserts in the table.

Pete Shermet
04-21-2009, 9:57 AM
I have the IPM jig and am faced wiith the same dilemma. Your solution is very good but I would also like to be able to turn it around and use it on the table saw. to ensure repeatability of positioning I'm thinking of adding some registry pins ( removable) so I could swing it either way. the pins I'm thinking if are solid brass shelf bracket pins and inserts from Lee Valley Tools. I would cut a slot in the top for ease of removal.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40184&cat=3,43648,43649
I'll watch this thread for other ideas!
Best Regards
Pete

Pete Shermet
04-23-2009, 4:06 PM
If this thread gets resurected I'd ask that Alan pm me with his final results, It took me a while of searching to find this thread again, is there a way I can mark it so it's easy to find again?(besides the little arrow in the envelope)
Thanks
Pete