PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19

Anthony Scira
04-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Thought I would show the results on my Glock 19.

I just did a small area behind the rear sights just in case the thing (me) screwed something up.

I think I am happy. What do you guys think ?

My settings were speed 5, power 100 and 600dpi. I ran it twice for a little insurance. So I don't know if it brought out the initials a little more or if the one pass did the trick.

But after seeing the stack of bills art project I think I am going to try to turn this thing into a art piece.

Maybe something simple like "thou shall not kill". Simple and too the point !

Third picture was not so good. Just there to show location.

Dan Hintz
04-21-2009, 6:51 AM
I've never looked it up, but there's always been confusion as to your version or "Thou shalt not kill"...

Frank Corker
04-21-2009, 7:23 AM
Anthony that test piece turned out really well.

Angus Hines
04-21-2009, 7:28 AM
Nice work....look forward to seeing the rest of it.

Alexa Ristow
04-21-2009, 11:36 AM
That looks good but somehow I don't see my husband allowing me to do that to his beloved weapon !!! In our house we have engraved a lot of things but this is a new one for me !!!:)

Stephen Beckham
04-21-2009, 5:24 PM
How about "If you can read this, you are in range!" :D

Anthony Scira
04-21-2009, 8:02 PM
How about "If you can read this, you are in range!" :D

Hey that might just work !

The more I think about about what I want to put on the rest of it the more my creativity dries up.

Hey can I write this thing off now ?

Stephen Beckham
04-21-2009, 9:23 PM
Hey can I write this thing off now ?

That would depend on which end you are pointing at the Auditor... :D

Bill Cunningham
04-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Before you engrave something 'different' on it, 'think' re-sale or at least trade-in. Making it 'too' personal makes it worth a lot less (unless of course your famous) I have a stainless Para LDA and thought of putting some cool dragons or something down each side of the slide, but I may want to sell it in the future, or trade it in for something even 'more' politically incorrect in Canada :eek:

'And" don't forget to watch them heavy loads...:D
Attached Thumbnails http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=92066&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1215397840 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=92066&d=1215397840)

Anthony Scira
04-21-2009, 10:50 PM
I plan on keeping this one.

What happened to that barrel ?

Dennis Brooker
04-22-2009, 7:36 AM
Anthony - I was a professional engraver for over 20 years and did more than a few pistols - I also shot "A" class IPSC as well and I also own a Glock 19 - Here's a few ideas for your Glock - Traditional gun style scroll patterns could be imported into Corel Draw and traced to provide vector patterns - Snakes with "Don't tread on Me" in a banner - Pinup girls are also popular amongst many old farts such as my self :D - You could talk your wife and/or girl friend into posing to be the model - I even once engraved a Smurf on a friend of mines competion gun as that was his nickname - Maybe a picture of a Samuri with a caption "Never bring a knife to a gun fight" - Just some ideas - I got more if you really need them - Dennis Brooker

Mark Winlund
04-22-2009, 11:00 AM
How about engraving "Gun control = hitting what you aim at" ?

Mark

Rob Patterson
04-22-2009, 4:12 PM
I always wanted to do this to mine....
http://greenhulk.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116813&d=1234539358

Bill Cunningham
04-23-2009, 7:58 PM
I plan on keeping this one.

What happened to that barrel ?

One of my fellow shooters at a club level IPSC match found out the hard way what happens when you take your mind off the job and it wanders at the reloading bench.. From the damage, we thought it might have followed a unnoticed squib, but it was just a double heavy load.. Boy was his face red...and blackend..
I had a double load in my Para once, and all it did was blow the back out of the case, and mag out of the grip.. scared the living @%@% out of me though.. I think of it every time I see some cop show where the cop is steading the pistol by holding the base of the grip in his/her palm.. Now THATS gonna hurt!

Mike Johns 1970
11-02-2013, 9:35 PM

My first attempt. My own Glock 30. I am really pleased with it.

Dave Sheldrake
11-02-2013, 11:18 PM
And" don't forget to watch them heavy loads

I recall a shooter first time progressive reloader using fast powders in a .44 fired from a Smithy 29 8 3/8th stainless. She had run out of powder but kept pumping building a few squib loads until she refilled the hopper and ended up double charging (and compressing) some of the rounds.

At the range we wondered why this hand canon of a gun was just going poop poop until she stuck a double charge up behind the 3 jammed slugs.

The details of what she had done only came out at the inquest we had to attend :(

On a lighter note, I have some old receivers (de-milled M4's) that I may chuck in the laser to see what happens to them.

The glocks look nice though that's for sure :)

cheers

Dave

Dan Hintz
11-03-2013, 7:19 AM
Looks good, Mike... what kind of machine is that in the background. All I can read is "40W" and what looks like "Made USA".

Glen Monaghan
11-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Prolly Epilog's Zing

Chris DeGerolamo
11-04-2013, 10:29 AM
I've found that sometimes doing a high[er] speed / low[er] power pass the first pass[es] can brighten an engraving and offer more contrast. Such was certainly true on my 1911 slide.

Randy Digby
11-06-2013, 1:57 PM
Bill, I've just reloaded my first five rounds and waiting to get to the range to try them out. I've read so many horror stories about kabooms that I pulled the bullets on the first five and reloaded them again. Hope to get to the range tomorrow night and try them out.

Andrew Stow
11-06-2013, 5:06 PM
I have a related question...

I do custom 1911 grips on a CNC mill. In the past, I've done some very small amount of engraving with one of those tiny v-bits (thinkandtink), but the problem I run into is that since it's a 3 axis machine, the bit is only ever perpindicular to the work at the highest point. As long as the curve isn't too steep and I don't go too far from the peak, it's manageable. But I certainly can't use it to checker the entire grip with.

Am I going to run into a similar problem with my Epilog Legend 32? I can foresee it not being in focus anywhere except for the point on the curve where I focused the beam. How much height difference can I get away with?

Dave Sheldrake
11-06-2013, 5:40 PM
Roughly 1.5mm of drop Andy with a 50mm focal length lens.

best wishes

Dave

Tim Bateson
11-07-2013, 8:14 AM
...Am I going to run into a similar problem with my Epilog Legend 32? I can foresee it not being in focus anywhere except for the point on the curve where I focused the beam. How much height difference can I get away with?

I've done several of these grips. Find the highest point & lowest point. Focus in the middle of that. A 1/8 inch variance shouldn't be a deal breaker. Note - I find it better to be too high with focus than too low, so you may find a better focus between the high & middle points. You'll have to find the sweet spot on your machine.

Chris DeGerolamo
11-07-2013, 8:36 AM
I have a related question...

I do custom 1911 grips on a CNC mill. In the past, I've done some very small amount of engraving with one of those tiny v-bits (thinkandtink), but the problem I run into is that since it's a 3 axis machine, the bit is only ever perpindicular to the work at the highest point. As long as the curve isn't too steep and I don't go too far from the peak, it's manageable. But I certainly can't use it to checker the entire grip with.

Am I going to run into a similar problem with my Epilog Legend 32? I can foresee it not being in focus anywhere except for the point on the curve where I focused the beam. How much height difference can I get away with?

When I do checkering, I run the job three times at various focal planes to ensure the most even result. I agree with Tim in the fact that you will likely experiment to find your own sweet spot.

Pete James
11-07-2013, 9:00 AM
It looks good, but the S is backwards, the Y is upside down and the V has a little line across the middle :)

Bill Cunningham
11-09-2013, 8:34 PM
Bill, I've just reloaded my first five rounds and waiting to get to the range to try them out. I've read so many horror stories about kabooms that I pulled the bullets on the first five and reloaded them again. Hope to get to the range tomorrow night and try them out.

If your shooting a wheel gun, you can load very light..Some of the guys that shoot PPC can actually put a dent in the cardboard backer..ha.. I haven't reloaded for a while now, but I think I was using 5.5 to 7gr of bullseye or red dot in a 40sw casing w/copper plated 180 gr. load.. It was enough to cycle the 1911 para and could get at least 1000 rounds from a lb of powder..

Dave Sheldrake
11-09-2013, 9:03 PM
hehe I turned a couple of Smith Wheel guns into "Top Break" revolvers using a light load that had flashovers :) (fast powder in the case laying flat that was ignited by an uncovered primer)

The scariest experience was a chap with a Calico that malfunctioned, went full auto, so he dropped it!! turned into a 9mm Catherine Wheel! there were rounds in everything except the other shooters and me :)

Legacy of a miss-spent youth and a distant memory these days.

cheers

Dave

Bill Cunningham
11-09-2013, 9:44 PM
hehe I turned a couple of Smith Wheel guns into "Top Break" revolvers using a light load that had flashovers :) (fast powder in the case laying flat that was ignited by an uncovered primer)

The scariest experience was a chap with a Calico that malfunctioned, went full auto, so he dropped it!! turned into a 9mm Catherine Wheel! there were rounds in everything except the other shooters and me :)

Legacy of a miss-spent youth and a distant memory these days.

cheers

Dave

I thought the U.K. confiscated all the pistols? Except from the criminals of course.. Ahh wait .. you did say a distant memory.. I guess that answers my question..

Dave Sheldrake
11-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Long time ago my friend :) The ban came into effect in the late 90's.

cheers

dave