PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Platter

Dominic Greco
08-02-2004, 7:42 AM
Here is a picture of a Maple Platter I turned last week.
Originally I had intended on adding some Turquoise inlace near the rim to enhance the design. But since the grain was so "busy", I decided against it. What do you think?

Specs:
Outer dia.: 11"
Height: 1 1/2"
Wall thickness: 1/4"
Base dia.: 3 1/2"
Sanding Method: Dry sanded to 2000 Grit.
Finish: Watco's Danish Oil
Final: Buffed with Beall System (minus the Tripoli)

John Miliunas
08-02-2004, 7:54 AM
Dom, good call! :) The beautiful grain and composition of the wood itself is plenty, as is the graceful form you chose! :D Nope, no point in "fixing" it, if it ain't broke! As usual, very nice work, Dom! :cool:

Jason Roehl
08-02-2004, 8:18 AM
Looks great, Dom! I wish I could have made the 5 Barns this year to see some more of your turning demos, but it was not to be. Keep posting the inspiring work!

Jim Becker
08-02-2004, 8:20 AM
Interesting. Did you attend Nittman's platter demo in Orlando?? :D This is a great design and well executed. As to the inlace, it would work for filling voids but I agree with you that a "formal inlay" would have detracted from this beautiful piece of wood.

Charles McKinley
08-02-2004, 9:06 AM
Hi Dominic,

Yet another great piece. I agree save the inlay for a piece that needs dressing up. The grain is beautiful.

Kent Cori
08-02-2004, 9:58 AM
Beutiful work Dominic. I'd have had a major stress attack when turning something that large so thin, especially considering that gorgeous piece of wood.

Dick Parr
08-02-2004, 2:04 PM
Very nice Dominic. Looks like it is nice and thin.

Michael Ballent
08-02-2004, 2:13 PM
Wow, that would have stressed me out... outstanding work as usual!!! :D

Tyler Howell
08-02-2004, 2:13 PM
Too Nice Dom! Very Fine job.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2004, 2:58 PM
Excellent! I'm with you.....the grain didn't need any dressing up! Great Job!

Chris Padilla
08-02-2004, 3:30 PM
Purty! I think an ebony inlay would be awesome!

Dominic Greco
08-03-2004, 7:47 AM
Purty! I think an ebony inlay would be awesome!

Now there's a good idea! I bet if I had inlayed a thin segmented ring of ebony, or ebonized walnut, around the rim it would have looked awesome! Hmmmm, I think I still have a chunk of this spalted Silver Maple stuff laying around......

Thanks for the inspiration!

Wes Bischel
08-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Dom,

The platter looks great. I'm glad you added the specs to your description - it doesn't look like eleven inches!! I think it's the thin rim that lightens the whole piece. Beautifully done - and I echo the sentiments of others - I would have been nervous as "he double hockey sticks".

Wes