PDA

View Full Version : My last (hopefully) compressor question

Louis Brandt
04-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Hello,

If I haven’t worn out my welcome yet, it’s because all of you have been patient with me and my compressor (and nail gun) questions, so here’s (hopefully) my last question about compressors.

Since I’m now convinced from your replies that an oil lubed compressor is the better way to go, here’s the question.

Don’t I need to make sure that whatever oil lubed compressor that I buy is right for nail guns? Doesn’t it need to be high pressure and low volume? I know that some compressors have high volume and low pressure, but aren’t they mostly for spray painting, etc.?

So what kind of pressure and volume specs do I need to look for in a compressor if my only objective is nailing?

Thanks,
Louis

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Louis,

The obvious answer is look at the specs on the nail guns you have or intend to buy and buy a compressor that will supply those values at an absolute minimum.

I bought what I thought was more than enough compressor for what I needed. Now when I'm using an air sander to sand my turnings, I wish I had a little more CFM.

Scott T Smith
04-20-2009, 11:34 PM
+ 1 on Lee's comments.

You typically need 90 PSI and at least 2.5 CFM at 90 psi to run nail guns; more CFM if you intend to shoot multiple nails quickly (or use framing nail guns).

In reality, your nail guns run off of the pressure and volume contained in the storage tank - it you had a large enough tank you would not need but a small CFM compressor.

Most 3ish cfm compressors are oil-less though. Probably anything that you buy that is oil-lubed will have an adequate CFM and pressure.

Keep in mind that the tank pressure will be between 120 - 175 psi; it's the output pressure that's regulated down to 90 psi.

Brian Penning
04-21-2009, 5:29 AM
Since you're going to go with an oil lubed unit.
Highly recommended is the Makita MAC2400.
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC2400-Horsepower-4-2-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1240306036&sr=8-1

Luther Oswalt
04-21-2009, 8:45 AM
Here is a site that I recommend to everyone with questions about air compressors and tools ... When you start to use tools like a air-sander your air requirements will increase measurably! Don't buy a compressor that is not going to meet your shop expected needs! The site:http://www.tptools.com/d/40_Air-Compressors.html
Leo

Russ Sears
04-21-2009, 8:54 AM
Louis, you might be getting confused with HVLP spray guns. I don't know that much about compressors but I haven't ever seen a compressor designated as high volume, low pressure. The key number is the CFM output. My compressor shows it as two numbers: something like 9.1CFM at 40 psi and 4.5 CFM at 90 psi. Those aren't the actual numbers because I don't remember them but you get the idea.

Terry Brogan
04-21-2009, 3:36 PM
I see that this TP Tools site offers Quincy's along with Chicago Pneumatics, but no Ingersoll-Rand (which I always believed was the Gold Standard) or Porter-Cable or anybody else, much. Anybody know anything about the reliability of the Quincy's?

David G Baker
04-21-2009, 4:16 PM
Not positive but I thought Quincy commercial compressors were the gold standard in the compressor world but Ingersoll-Rand is up there as well. I haven't done enough research to know if both make a low end compressor. I have had a few SpeedAire compressors and they were fine.

Ben Franz
04-21-2009, 4:40 PM
David is right - Quincy is one of the best for medium sized reciprocating compressors but I/R is right up there, too. Either maker will provide excellent service for a home shop or small commercial shop. Northern Tools is a good place to check out both lines.

Joe Jensen
04-21-2009, 4:47 PM
Quincy, Ingersol Rand, and others have multiple lines, different quality levels. The best compressors like the top Quincy and IR have pumps that are oil lubed, but they have an oil pump and oil filter for pressured lubrication just like a car. I have a 3HP Quincy compressor that uses pump model #325. They have built the $325 pump for over 50 years. It is designed for 3HP or 5HP motors. It runs 500RPM or so with the 3PH motor and if you put a 5HP on you use pulleys to spin it at 900 RPM. The pump alone is like 300 lbs. A new 5HP Quincy with the #325 pump is abouit $3800.

I bought a used one for $300 and put on a new motor and safety valves. Mine is at least 40 years old, tests to have the same output as new, and will likely last another 40 years. Because it spins so slowly, it is also very quiet. With my Radio Shack db meter at 3 feet away, it's 78 db.

IR makes an equivalent.

Quincy and IR also make lessor compressors that have cast iron pumps with oil lube, but they are much lighter built, and they have smaller cylinders so they spin faster. They will likely outlive a home shop user, and many commercial users. These run about $1500-2000.

Then there are many cheaper 5HP compressors with 60 or 80 gallon tanks. Think Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc. These run $500-800. This would also likely out last all but the toughest home shop environments.

Be careful of brand, just because it's Quincy or IR doesn't mean its the best. Having said that, I don't think either make junk for a home shop.

Here are some pics, my old Speedair 3HP, which was a true 3HP motor, 220V, 18amps. Both compressors are rated about the same, but the Quincy can run continuously for maybe years. The Speedair will burn up within a couple of days of continous use. Omn this forum or another, an IR dealer tested one of their newer low end 5HP compressors buy setting it up to run continuosly under load all weekend. When he came into the shop on Monday it had frozen up.

A before pic of the my Quincy, and a final pic of the Quincy.

Original Speedair (note 4 ft ruler)
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/compressoroldmedium.jpg

Before Quincy
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/010209010309010407200804059affe07bf.jpg

After Quincy (note ruler again)
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/compressorfrontrulermedium.jpg

Hank Knight
04-21-2009, 5:12 PM
Louis,

Most any basic compressor (oil free or lubed) will run a nail gun. Nail guns require high pressure and not much air volume (CFM). Almost any compressor you buy these days will produce up to 120 PSI and plenty of air for a nail, brad or staple gun. Where you run into trouble is trying to run other pneumatic tools like sanders, impact wrenches, drills, some HVLP spray guns, and such on an inadequate compressor. These tools require a lage continuous volume of air (CFM). Small compressors are capable of producing plenty of pressure (PSI), but very low continuous air supply and, consequently, are inadequate for these kinds of tools.

If all you want to run is a nail gun, you'll be O.K. with just about any compressor. But if you think you might want to get into HVLP spraying or other kinds of pneumatic tools, look for a compressor that produces a high continuous air supply, preferably one with a large tank. Large tanks store lots of air so the compressor doesn't have to run continuously to supply air to the tool, it comes from the tank. When the air in the tank is used up, the compressor starts up, refills the tank and shuts off until it's needed again. Compressors with small tanks cycle on and off much more often and sometimes have to run continuously to supply enough air to the tool, so they wear out fast. But these issues generally don't arise with nail guns because they use so little air, just a little "psst" every time you pull the trigger.

Probably more than you wanted to know.

Hank