PDA

View Full Version : Older Delta Shaper Gloat

Paul Greathouse
04-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I had a thread going yesterday asking for info on an older Delta Shaper that I found locally. Thank You, to all those that helped with responses.

I went and looked at it today and decided to buy it. I paid more than I wanted to but I think I got a good older American Made machine for a decent price. The asking price was $900 and he wouldn't budge an inch on it. It had only been in the classifieds for two days so he had time on his side. To be truthful the shaper was in better shape than I expected it to be.

Delta Shaper 3HP single phase
3/4" Spindle
It came with 4 Ogee Raised Panel Cutters (2 sharp, 2 dull)
The first two numbers in the serial number are 85, so I am assuming it was made in 1985.
The spindle bearings are tight and it runs really smooth.

Here's the pictures:

For $900 how did I do?

Paul Greathouse
04-20-2009, 10:05 PM
A few more pictures:

David DeCristoforo
04-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Sweeet! Now you can start saving for a feeder!

jim carter
04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
a feeder would be safer doing large bit work. had a friend that lost 2 fingers.

Paul Greathouse
04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Sweeet! Now you can start saving for a feeder!

I probably will end up getting a feeder for the better quality of cut you can achieve with one. I heard alot about dangerous kickbacks on shapers but when I saw the previous owner (an average sized 60something year old guy) push an oak board through this shaper by hand with little effort I think I can handle it for a while without one. He made two passes with it and had a pretty good looking edge.

I just put a little Delta Versa feeder for my router table not long ago and couldn't believe the improvement in cut quality.

My next step will be adapting dust collection. I found that the O.D. of a 2" PVC fitting fits snug in the dust collection opening.

Bill Orbine
04-20-2009, 10:35 PM
You really can't go wrong splurging 900 bucks on a good old american machine like the Delta shaper. It's really a good investment and you'll be able to command just as much money or maybe even more in the future if you ever decide to sell it. All you gotta do is take care of it and that's the easy part. Use it often and the machine will pay for itself.

Paul Greathouse
04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
I forgot to ask earlier, what is the purpose of the spindle guard? Its the orange disk with a bearing in the middle, in the 5th picture. The owners manual doesn't give any info about its purpose and the previous owner said he never used it.

Also, what are some good online sourses for cutter sharpeners? The previous owner said he is pretty sure the guy that was doing his sharpening had recently retired. The guy in my town that does sharpening hates to mess with carbide. All four of these cutters are carbide tipped.

Clint Merrill
04-20-2009, 11:18 PM
HI Paul; The shaper looks to be in great condition, know you will be very happy with it and I think the price was well in line.
If any of our readers have interest in a Delta 1/2 in. shaper in mint condition I have one for sale. Asking $600.00, Rockwell 1 hp. motor with reversing switch, several bits, nice cabinet on casters, maybe an hour of use is all,purchased new and kept inside.

Clint Merrill
Feel free to phone, 870-633-6789
Forrest City, Arkansas

Karl Brogger
04-20-2009, 11:20 PM
I forgot to ask earlier, what is the purpose of the spindle guard? Its the orange disk with a bearing in the middle, in the 5th picture. The owners manual doesn't give any info about its purpose and the previous owner said he never used it.

Dust cover? To keep crap from going down? I honestly don't know.

Also, what are some good online sourses for cutter sharpeners? The previous owner said he is pretty sure the guy that was doing his sharpening had recently retired. The guy in my town that does sharpening hates to mess with carbide. All four of these cutters are carbide tipped.

If you're local sharpening guy doesn't do carbide, run.
Find a local cabinet shop, walk in, find the owner, ask him. That's your best route instead of shipping them off to god knows where.

Good find BTW, I'd pay $900 for that. I don't run anything through a shaper by hand. EVER, I guess I shouldn't say ever, arched rails and the like are tough to do any other way than just using a pattern. I think it is the scariest tool in a wood shop next to a drunk forklift operator. Coping sleds and feeders are the only way to go.

David DeCristoforo
04-20-2009, 11:36 PM
"... what is the purpose of the spindle guard?"

You are supposed to put it on the spindle right above the cutter when you are doing curved work with a bearing. In that case, you don't have the shroud and fence covering the cutter so it acts as a guard to keep you from sticking your hand in the cutter (yeech). You should use some shims so that the disk can spin freely when the nut is tight. The problem with RP cutters is that many of them are larger in diameter than the guard disk. But still, it's better than nothing and the orange color keeps you aware of the cutter.

Paul Greathouse
04-20-2009, 11:45 PM
"... what is the purpose of the spindle guard?"

You are supposed to put it on the spindle right above the cutter when you are doing curved work with a bearing. In that case, you don't have the shroud and fence covering the cutter so it acts as a guard to keep you from sticking your hand in the cutter (yeech). You should use some shims so that the disk can spin freely when the nut is tight. The problem with RP cutters is that many of them are larger in diameter than the guard disk. But still, it's better than nothing and the orange color keeps you aware of the cutter.

That makes sense, Thanks David. The picture in the owners manual showed it attaced to the spindle but I couldn't see a cutter in the picture so I wasn't sure whether it went on top or bottom of the cutter.

Chip Lindley
04-20-2009, 11:51 PM
That orange guard also helps clumsy folks from accidentally dropping something into the spinning cutter!! And as said, it is a visual reminder that the cutter is spinning at 10,000 RPM!

Your GLOAT looks like a brand new machine. Few are that nice after 15 years of even just sitting around! If you learn *how to shape* and put it to use, you got your $$$'s worth!

Now you may wish to search eBay for a 1/2" spindle which will allow you to use inexpensive small profile cutters on your shaper. If you REALLY get hooked, you will be searching for a second shaper so that rail/stile sets will not have to be interchanged and dialed in each time!!

Richard McComas
04-21-2009, 1:54 AM
I can't believe you think you paid to much.