PDA

View Full Version : Sssssssssssssssss...bang! @!#$%!

curtis rosche
04-20-2009, 8:27 PM
so i was turning a peice of spalted maple crotch. i had mounted it on a faceplate to get it round, but i had stripped the head of one of the screws. so i just cut it off. and when i tried to pull it out it just snapped.

so i chucked it up, figureing i would turn it down to find the end and then pull it out. well, not so. i forgot about it, and i had the rpms way up, 1800, (it makes a nicer cut on my lathe) when all the sudden, BAM!:mad::confused: i stopped the lathe trying to figure out what it was, then i remembered the screw. i saw it, then i looked at my thompson bowl gouge, and i made a ugly little 1/16 gouge in my tool. i guess it wont cut 3 inch galvenized screws. after about 30 min of trying to get it out it finally came. then i finished the bowl. i will post it tommorow if it is done with the finish.

Mike Stephens
04-20-2009, 8:45 PM
Dam it dam it dam it $#!*

Don't you love it. You make a mental note and deposit it into the mental waste paper basket.

looking forward to seeing the bowl.

Mike

John Fricke
04-20-2009, 8:53 PM
Makes for an expensive beading tool.

curtis rosche
04-20-2009, 8:58 PM
thank goodness i have the sharpening jig, i wouldve never been able to grind it out free hand with out having to redo the whole grind

Brian McInturff
04-20-2009, 9:53 PM
Geez Curtis, you can't afford to make those mistakes. Never put off what can be done now. Otherwise you will forget. Enough on the lecture. Glad it got it worked out.

Steve Schlumpf
04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Curtis - glad you didn't get hurt! Man, you gotta think things through a little more!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished bowl!

Chris Rae
04-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Bummmmmmer! Looking forward to seeing the bowl when it's finished.

Bill Bolen
04-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Curtis if you break another screw clamp the blank down, get a bench chisel and dig out a hollow around the screw and clamp down a set of vice grips. It should turn out. A bit of soap on the threads will stop the breakage too...Bill...

Dewey Torres
04-21-2009, 3:02 AM
Haven't had this happen yet but surely to come soon! Thanks for the heads up:eek:

Nathan Hawkes
04-21-2009, 3:26 AM
Glad you didn't get hurt. I wish I could say that I haven't done this before....I mean, boy, that was dumb......:D;)

Frank Townend
04-21-2009, 8:19 AM
Sorry to hear your tale Curtis.
I added these to my "tool set", they have helped me in the past for this type of "lost screw".

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/124210tmb.jpg
Screw Extractors (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=983&ProductID=124210)

Using a drill press or a power drill with a pre-bored guide block, these hollow, saw tooth edged extractors bore a clean hole around the broken screw without damaging the surrounding surface. 1/4" extractor removes up to a #8 screw, 5/16" up to a #10 screw, and 3/8" up to a #12 screw. Overall length 2", both ends are equipped with saw tooth cutting edges

Jeff Taylor
04-21-2009, 9:15 AM
Shrapnel is a dangerous thing .. I am glad the screw did not shear off and slice you ..
Was it a deck-screw? And how much was still left in the wood?
Stay safe!