PDA

View Full Version : water based lacquer

Brenton Russo
04-20-2009, 7:01 PM
I have just bought an older building that I have fixed up and now build cabinets out of. I was using a friends building with a proper spray room in it. I had been spraying ML Campbell pre cat lacquer but now that I have purchased this building I do not have the funds to build a proper spray room and wanted to know more about water based lacquer. How easy are they to use what kind of equipment do you need to spray with how durable are they and what are the cost of it compared to pre cat. Any info will be helpful thanks :)

Rob Cunningham
04-21-2009, 9:21 AM
Check out Target Coatings. They have a full line of WB products that are very user friendly. I spray their products with a compressor fed gravity feed gun. Others use turbine units successfully. The finishes are very durable and Jeff W offers great customer service.

Todd Burch
04-21-2009, 9:38 AM
ML Campbell also has a line of water based lacquers. I've used them - they work fine.

Prashun Patel
04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Can't comment on the quality vs. pre-cat, but I CAN say that I have an $80 cheap HVLP, and sprayed 2 projects with Target USL. It was about as easy as finishes can get. The USL goes on orange peely, but levels great - even on vertical surfaces (within reason). Dries quick. You can finish in a day.

The product DOES have a slight blue cast, and dries 'cool', IMHO. But I'm comparing it to oil based varnish and shellac, FWIW.

Rob Cunningham
04-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Shawn,
A few drops of Honey Amber TransTint added to USL will warm up the look.