PDA

View Full Version : Oil lubed compressor question

Louis Brandt
04-20-2009, 6:07 PM
Hello,

I’m still ready to buy a compressor and nail guns, but a lot of you have said that the oil lubed compressors are better, quieter and last longer than the oilless type, so here’s my question(s).

What oil lubed compressor (brand/model) should I look for, considering that I want it only for use with nail guns? I don’t want a huge one, and I don’t intend to use it for paint spraying or such, just nailing.

Is there much maintenance associated with an oil lubed model? How often to oil, etc?

And finally, where can I get one? I don’t know whether my local Home Depot or Lowe’s sell oil lubed models.

Thanks,
Louis

Bob Rufener
04-20-2009, 7:43 PM
I would also recommend an oil lubed compressor. The oilless are really loud. I would get a mid sized compressor. If you go too small, you may be disappointed in the long run. If you want to go small, a number of companies sell the pancake style compressors and many can be purchased as a kit with two or three different nailers/staplers. That is a choice you can make.

I have a basement shop and my compressor is in the garage. I was able to drill a hole through the skirt and run a connection to my shop. This way, I can use it in the garage and also in my shop. I do use it for nailers but also use it for blowing sawdust off my clothes before going upstairs and for blowing dust off projects before and during finishing stages. I also can use it in the garage for filling tires, my air impact wrench for taking off tires, and occasional spray projects. Once you have one, you may find a lot of uses for it. I can't recommend a brand. There are many out there that are very good and require little maintenance. Your manual should give you information about oil but it doesn't have to be changed that often. Buy one that has a pressure regulator. A water filter is necessary for spraying but that can be added later. Also, do not get one with the plastic hose if you can avoid it. You won't be happy. Get a good rubber hose and it will work well for you. I bought mine at a store chain called "Fleet and Farm" but there are many places that sell them. I hope this helps.

Peter Quinn
04-20-2009, 7:49 PM
Both my local Home Depot and Tractor supply (where I bought my last compressor) sell oil lubed compressors in a variety of sizes. I bough a Husky brand (borg store brand) made by Campbell Hausfield a few years back and it did a fine job for nail guns, cost a few hundred dollars, way quieter than my pancake oilless jobsite model. I think it was a verticle 25 gallon model?

I replaced it with a much bigger compressor, also made by Campbell Hausfield, for spraying. Nail guns have very light demands in terms of CFM's, so nearly any compressor with a 20 gallon tank capable of delivering 90PSI will do. Even my little oilless pancake (porter cable) will push all of my nail guns except the framer without a problem, but the pancake is WAY TOO LOUD to use in my shop with any comfort on a regular basis. On a job site I park that thing outside and run a hose in through a window or door, just not pleasant.

Be aware that there is a tendency to think "I only want/need a compressor for X" and to by the least that will do the trick, only to find out how convenient compressed air can be and find your self upgrading later. If I had bough the compressor I wanted the first time (instead of the third) I would have saved a lot of money in the long run.

Tom Veatch
04-20-2009, 8:14 PM
... If I had bough the compressor I wanted the first time (instead of the third) I would have saved a lot of money in the long run.

I agree. The bigger you buy the first time, the longer it is before it gets too small.

Dan Linehan
04-20-2009, 8:46 PM
Both my compressors are oil-lube. My shop compressor , a 25 gal. Campbell Hausfeld, is about 14 years old with zero repairs. I recently purchased a smaller compressor for portability and after extended comparision and research bought an Ingersoll Rand twin hotdog online ($280.00/free shipping). Very impressive quality.

Pat Germain
04-20-2009, 8:51 PM
There's not much maintenance involved with an oil-lubed compressor. The oil is in a crankcase, much like a small engine.

When you buy a compressor new, you pour in some oil and it's good to go for a very long time. If you buy a compressor used, drain the old oil out and pour in some new oil. Again, it will be good to go for a very long time.

I bought a used Campbell Hausfeld oil-lubed compressor last year. It's a 35 gallon, two-stage. I'm very happy with it. My friends all have oilless compressors and they can't believe how quiet my compressor is. It also pumps up much faster than theirs; probably because it's a two stage (twin cylinder).

I was talking with an old-timer at Sears last year about compressors. This guy actually knew what he talking about. I asked him about oil lubed compressors compared to oilless. He said you can expect four times the lifespan from an oil lubed compressor compared to an oilless.

Andy Bardowell
04-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Louis I needed one for quick job that I was doing and bought a generic 5 gal two tank unit from an automotive outlet for $125 and it has served well indeed; thought it would croak within a month but really the technology is such that manufacturers would have to be idiots to screw them up. It’s oiled and Pat’s right there is a little window with a dot and you just keep the oil to that level. Oil less just sounds like it will run hot, but perhaps I’m an old timer. If you’d prefer a brand name and have the dough then by all means but go as big as your budget will allow I wish I had something a bit bigger than that 5 gal.

Greg Hines, MD
04-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Louis,

I bought a Campbell-Hausfeldt 17gal compressor from Tractor Supply Co. about a year ago, it is oil cooled, and has worked flawlessly since I got it. It ran about $150 at the time I got it. I coupled it with a three-pack of nailers from HD that have worked good for what I do, which is basic woodworking and jig building with it.

You might want to look around. One of the other Creekers had posted a link a while back on a set of nailers which included a framing nailer. I don't have one of those, and haven't needed one yet, but someday I will probably need one.

Doc

David G Baker
04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
I have been using a potbelly oil less compressor off and on for the past 10 years. It is noisy, heavy to move around, but it has served me well. I only use it to power my 5 different nail and staple guns or to pump up tires. I do not use it that often or tax its ability so it has held up. I would buy a well made brand name oil less compressor again if all I planed on using it for was nail guns and filling tires. An oil pump, around 10 horse power, compressor is on my wish list because there are things I want to do that will require a lot more CFM and pressure than is provided by the oil less compressor.