PDA

View Full Version : Brad/staple naile combo - HF, Campell or Grizzly

Ash Rebelo
04-20-2009, 5:34 PM
Hello,

I am looking to purchase to Brad nailer to use to use for trimming work. I am debating on the Campbell Hausfeld CHN10299. The reason for picking this one is the brad and staple combo. Not many companies do these combos and I can imagine the reason for not doing this but at the same time my use of the tool will be sporadically. The other option is to get the HF but I am hesitant about the quality (not vey good reviews). You get what you paid for. The other option is for Grizzly H7664 Nailer/Stapler Kit.

I appreciate any guidance or feedback on these nailers.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Ash

glenn bradley
04-20-2009, 7:37 PM
I bought a C&H combo at Costco of all places. I figured it would last long enough for me to get my $120 out of it. That was 5 years ago. It is a 2 gallon, twin-tank oiled compressor and really shows little signs of use although I run it several hours a week. I've had oil-less units before (had being the operative word here). Oil-less units that I have used or been around seem a bit noisier than their oiled cousins but, my cheap little olied unit is quite a screamer.

Pat Germain
04-20-2009, 8:56 PM
I bought the Grizzly nailer/stapler combo last year. The brad nailer is great. I don't know about the stapler because I can't find any staples to fit it anywhere. Apparently, I'm going to have to order staples from Grizzly. Not cool!

Kev Godwin
04-20-2009, 9:23 PM
I have the HF brad/staple combo unit and it works well for non finished areas of projects like under chair seats or for hidden cleats. However, I wouldn't recommend this one for finish areas due to the pronounced impact into the wood face that cannot be controlled well.

I would recommend the HF 23 Ga pinner. I've been using one for quite a while now and it has worked flawlessly.
Kev

Dave Lehnert
04-20-2009, 9:32 PM
In my opinion The CH may be a step above Harbor Freight but not by much.
CH is here in Cincinnati and there is CH Graveyard you see on Craigslist all the time.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/1126425516.html

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/1126427080.html

I think all the low end guns are about the same quality. Good for home use. Never discount Harbor Freight just because. I got some Guns with their house name on it but they were Senco discontinued Accuset line. Very , very good guns for $20.

Dave Lehnert
04-20-2009, 9:37 PM
I bought the Grizzly nailer/stapler combo last year. The brad nailer is great. I don't know about the stapler because I can't find any staples to fit it anywhere. Apparently, I'm going to have to order staples from Grizzly. Not cool!

Is that the 21 ga? I purchased a Senco 21ga stapler at their clearance sale last fall and Grizzly is the only place to get that size staple.

Tony Bilello
04-20-2009, 9:44 PM
..............to use for trimming work. ...............The other option is to get the HF but I am hesitant about the quality (not vey good reviews). You get what you paid for.

I am not familiar with the CH or Grizzly but I do have the HF combo.
I would not recommend it for trim work because of the large impact mark on the wood. The gun does not know if it is driving a brad nail or a staple so the ramrod is designed for the larger - the staple. It will work on oak up to about 3/4' thick. Anything longer than that and it wont drive it in. I think the specs say 1 1/2" max but that just aint so. The brads will bend or only go in partially. I'm sure on soft woods it would be just fine.
Other than it's limitations it works just fine. I think I paid about 20 bucks for it. To me it is worth the $20 because I use it for jigs and other things that I dont want to use my other guns for.

Andy Bardowell
04-20-2009, 9:59 PM
The scuttlebutt on these combination nailer staplers is that they jam a lot Tony so you may want to just get a good nailer for your job and then if you need a stapler purchase that. 18g brads and staplers are quite reasonable anyway. What kind of trim work are you doing? If its baseboards and such you may want to go to 16g that’s where you’ll see a price jump unfortunately.

Ray Dockrey
04-20-2009, 11:18 PM
For case work and trim a 18 gauge 2" brad nailer will work just fine. I have been using a Hitachi for a bathroom remodel and the nails hold just fine.

glenn bradley
04-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Is that the 21 ga? I purchased a Senco 21ga stapler at their clearance sale last fall and Grizzly is the only place to get that size staple.

I get my 21ga from Omer but Cadex and Fasco make them as well. Floyd Tool (http://www.floydtool.com/pin_nail.htm) is a source I've used for any of these makers but there are others.

Dave Lehnert
04-20-2009, 11:38 PM
I get my 21ga from Omer but Cadex and Fasco make them as well. Floyd Tool (http://www.floydtool.com/pin_nail.htm) is a source I've used for any of these makers but there are others.
Thanks for the link but it is for a staple gun not a brad nailer.

Kev Godwin
04-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Tony B. said it better than I did earlier. The HF combo is rough to finish work but I would say it is good for knocking together basic assemblies.

My HF combo drives well but puts an indented scar into the wood that needs significant filling if exposed. I do think it is good for rough work that I don't want to use my high-end brad nailer for. The HF has never jammed on me with over 5000 shots. Just don't use it for precision work.
Kev