PDA

View Full Version : Used (reconditioned, scratch and dent) WW machinery dealers

Jim Izat
03-19-2003, 11:45 AM
<font size=3 color=green>Based on all the great advice below to my question about lathe options, I have decided that finding a used lathe might be the best option for me. I seem to remember an outfit in Dallas that had a great website and am looking for any going concerns that have websites that sell used heavy duty WW equipment.

As always, I am in the debt of my fellow creek denizens.

<b>Jim Izat</b></font>

Hal Peeler
03-19-2003, 1:18 PM
It's not exactly in your neighborhood but check this out.
http://www.redmond-machinery.com/
Good selection and good folks to deal with.
Hal

Larry Guthrie
03-19-2003, 2:05 PM
www.odiewhitemachinery.com

Sam Chambers
03-21-2003, 4:59 PM
Don't forget General Industrial Supply in Nashville. They have allkinds of Jet, Powermatic and Performax "scratch-n-dent" stuff.

Their web site is www.generalindustrialsupp.com but it's down at the moment. Their phone number is 1-800-371-2220. Nice folks and good prices, though the shipping might negate your savings.

Good Luck!

Ron McNeil
03-21-2003, 9:01 PM
Jim, I agree with Sam don't forget General Industrial Supply in Nashville they have very good deals and their scratch and dent usually look like new. I purchased my tablesaw, 6" jointer 12 1/2 planer and 14" bandsaw from them and I am highly satisified. They are good people. Not affiliated just a very happy customer.:p

Stan Smith
03-23-2003, 3:12 PM
I tried the link for General Industrial Supply and couldn't make contact. I went to Yahoo for a new address and none of the addresses listed there would work either. Do you have any further info? Thanks.

Stan

Sam Chambers
03-23-2003, 3:27 PM
Stan:

That's the correct address. I couldn't get it to work either. I seem to recall a post (maybe at the Pond or the Oak?) from someone who mentioned to the owner of General Industrial that their web site was usually messed up, and the owner was less than happy about it. Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.

In the meantime, give them a call. They're really great folks to deal with, and you'll save some $$$ on good gear if you're within driving distance of Nashville. Mention that you tried to get info from their web site, but it was down - maybe the more they hear from their customers (and potential customers) about their web site, the more likely they'll be to get it fixed.

I bought a scratch-n-dent Jet 14" closed stand bandsaw from them about 15 months ago. The main casting was cracked on the saw, so they just opened up another returned saw, swapped out the casting, assembled and tested it, gave me a new blade, and off I went. Saved about $200 over the proce of a new saw. The only downside is there's a very short warranty on the scratch-n-dent stuff (90 days?), and they have to do the work. But since I don't use my bandsaw every day, it's no big deal.

Stan Smith
03-23-2003, 9:55 PM
Redding, CA is a long way from Nashville although I've always wanted to go there. CW music is real popular in this one-horse town where the biggest cultural event of the year is the rodeo.

I thought that I might save a few bucks by getting a used jet mini lathe, but I guess that I'll just get a new one. With the price of gas, I'm not willing to drive very far anyway.

Stan

Sam Chambers
03-24-2003, 7:40 PM
If it were me, I'd give General Industrial a call. Since you're looking at a relatively lightweight item, the shipping might not be too bad. I'm sure they'll work with you.

Once you have their price, compare it to Amazon.com with free shipping and any discount coupons you can find.

Good luck.

Cam.Hedrick
03-24-2003, 7:47 PM
caught Lowe's when they were dropping Jet...I bought their 14" bandsaw for $178 NIB. It's been a dependable bandsaw and with the Carter blade guides even better! I also swapped there motor froma heavier duty one I had laying around and resawing is a breeze...yep, I got the riser to for only $27 as they had one in the store and wanted to get rid of it too.
The place in Nashville sounds nice, maybe I'll visit them next time we go there to see family....LOML's side and I love them!
Any of you guys hail from there or Charleston, SC?

Sam Chambers
03-25-2003, 8:08 AM
I neglected to mention that General Industrial Supply is NOT open on weekends. So if you're planning a trip to Nashville, be sure to allow a non-holiday weekday for your visit.

Ron Taylor
03-25-2003, 2:52 PM
There's a tool dealer in Canada, Mike's Wood Products, www.woodworkermachinery.com, (no affiliation) that seems to carry a complete line of the Delta Shopmaster line of products which includes the Delta LA200 Midi lathe.

He is currently running several different machines on eBay under the name exoticwoods2. I bought the LA200 from him last week with a high bid of $192.50. The current high bid on one that has 2 days left is $177.50. He has sold at least a half dozen of the Midi's and I've seen only one go above $200.

At $200 plus $45 for shipping, this is still a pretty good deal over Amazon.com at $319.00.

I had a bit of a hassle concluding the transaction cuz he runs his auctions in U.S. dollars, but does his invoices in Canadian. And, will not accept PayPal except in Canadian dollars. When I emailed for clarification, he was a bit of a jerk, but we did get the differences settled. At least I hope we did... haven't received the machine yet, but expect to within a couple of days.

Good luck in your search. I'm in a half-horse town and it is a pain trying to get equipment.