PDA

View Full Version : [Epilog Helix] Rubber gasket cutting

JeanFrancois Pepin
04-20-2009, 3:47 PM
Hello,

I'm not used to do anything else than anodized aluminium with my Epilog and now I would like to cut rubber gasket.

I'm not sure what mats to use for that, i've tried different rubber types without being ever able to cut through with the laser.

Anyone managed to do it or something rather similar ?

Thank you for you time.

JF Pepin
theatrixx.com

Michael Hunter
04-20-2009, 3:59 PM
I've cut gaskets from 3mm (1/8") black nitrile rubber on my 60W Lengend EX.
Settings 100% power, 20% speed.

VERY smelly, VERY messy, but the gaskets turn out OK.

(It is worth putting masking tape both sides of the rubber so you can peel off the worst of the soot - even then, the edges will make black marks on your hands and everywhere!)

Dave Adams
04-20-2009, 4:37 PM
I have cut many different types of gasket material and have found that you have to be very carefull to not use too much power. The rubber material in particular cuts worse at higher power. Try a range of power settings on your test piece to find the lowest possible setting.

Joe Pelonio
04-20-2009, 5:15 PM
I have cut many different types of gasket material and have found that you have to be very carefull to not use too much power. The rubber material in particular cuts worse at higher power. Try a range of power settings on your test piece to find the lowest possible setting.
Agreed, even two passes at lower power cuts cleaner.

Frank Corker
04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
I agree that the gaskets do turn out well and the smell disappears after a couple of months. Just kidding, unless of course you are doing thousands of them, the smell is not too bad.

JeanFrancois Pepin
04-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm pretty sure nitrile rubber is what I've tried it on and never been able to cut through, just about half way even with multiple pass.

I'll give it another try and get back to you with my results.

Thanks guys!

Bill Cunningham
04-21-2009, 9:25 PM
Also keep your vector freq. low.. I don't cut a lot of gaskets, but when I cut rubber My freq varies from 15-25.. I find higher ones don't penetrate as well, and can burn the edges.. But this is 'my' machine, your results may vary..