PDA

View Full Version : Boat Name Sign

Gregg Vaughn
04-20-2009, 1:23 PM
I have someone requesting a 12" x 24" (approximate) sign for their boat with their boat's name on it. The boat is a pontoon boat, so having a place to put it is not a problem.

What would make a good material that would hold up to the elements, expecially the direct sunlight and moisture?

Frank Corker
04-20-2009, 1:29 PM
Gregg I make quite a few outdoor signs and I use acrylic with acrylic paint. So far I haven't had any complaints about it. Like everything that goes outside, the earth colours, reds, browns, yellow and white have a tendency to oxidise.

Michael Hunter
04-20-2009, 2:31 PM
Why not teak or iroko for a boat?

Both will withstand the elements (though look better with a little oil occasionally) and engrave nicely so long as the artwork is strong and bold.

Joe Pelonio
04-20-2009, 2:54 PM
Of the hundreds of boats I have done names for, all but 2-3 have been vinyl lettering applied directly to the hull and/or transom. The others have been lettering sandblasted into clear cedar or mahogany, then painted, and the wood finished with clear marine varnish. For the paint the best is One-Shot.

Angus Hines
04-20-2009, 3:23 PM
It's a pontoon boat so it really dosn't matter. But a true 'nameboard' for a yacht is almost always mahogany with gold leaf lettering either on the flat or V Carved. I do several a year like this.

But this size I'm guessing your customer dosn't want to pay 275.00-425.00 a side ?

Mike Null
04-20-2009, 3:29 PM
You can also use Corian.

Gregg Vaughn
04-21-2009, 8:38 AM
Thanks for the wisdom ...