PDA

View Full Version : Fast Drying Laquer

Gene E Miller
04-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

I am building a project that I had originally wanted to spray with a fast drying PRE-CAT Lacquer but have found that I can only get it in quantities of 5gal and once it is mixed only has a shelf life of 4 - 6 months.

I might use it all in that time but then again I might not and sure would hate to waste 2 - 3 gal at about $40.00 a gal.

Can someone advise me on a lacquer that I can spray that dries fast and that I can apply with minimal equipment. I do not have a dedicated spray booth so I would be either spraying in an area that I have enclosed with heavy plastic or outside if the weather is good.

Thanks for all the advise and help in advance.

Todd Burch
04-20-2009, 12:25 PM
What brand can you only get in 5 Gallon quantities? I like ML Campbell's pre cat.

Gene E Miller
04-20-2009, 12:36 PM
What brand can you only get in 5 Gallon quantities? I like ML Campbell's pre cat.

Todd,

I was looking at Sherwin Williams since that is the only place anywhere close to me that I can get much of anything.

Where can you get the ML Campbells?

Todd Burch
04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
It's a crazy world. ML Campbell was purchased by Sherwin Williams several years ago, but don't try to buy ML Campbell from a Sherwin Williams store, 'cuz you can't. Go figure.

I buy mine from Murphy Brothers in Houston. http://www.murphybros.net/contact_us.htm

The product is called Magnalac. I just called to see if they would ship to you, and I got the wrong guy on the phone.

Todd Burch
04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Here's better link to find a distributor: http://www.mlcampbell.com/pages/locate.asp

Gene E Miller
04-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Here's better link to find a distributor: http://www.mlcampbell.com/pages/locate.asp

Thanks Todd,

I found a distributor in Memphis and just talked to them on the phone and they told me about the Magnalac and the price isn't too bad compared to what Sherwin Wiliams wanted pluse I can get it a gallon at a time.

I am going over there this afternoon to pick up a couple of gallons.

Again thanks for the quick response.

Todd Burch
04-20-2009, 1:22 PM
Be sure to to get a product fact sheet and read it first. Read it before you leave the distributor.

Jim McFarland
04-20-2009, 3:26 PM
You might consider Target Coatings EM6000 water-based acrylic lacquer. Dries fast, burns-in to earlier coats and can be rubbed out to various sheens. Great stuff IME for home shops without a proper spray booth. I still recommend a respirator when applying. TFZ has a 25% off sale until April 26: http://www.targetcoatings.com/shop/products/EmTech_6000_Production_Lacquer_Gloss_1Gal-268-32.html

You can also add amber Transtint dye to get the look of an oil-based finish.

Gene E Miller
04-20-2009, 7:26 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

Thanks for all the comments and info.

I just got back from Memphis and purchased 2 gal of the ML Campbells
product Magnalac.

I think for what I am going to be doing at this time this product will do a good job.

There was an experienced finisher at the distributor and we were able to talk for about an hour and he gave me a lot of advice on how to do apply this.

I will be posting how things come out in my project progress in the woodworking projects forum.

Thanks again.

Howard Acheson
04-21-2009, 6:53 PM
Gene, let me strongly suggest you review a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet for the Pre-Cat lacquer product you are going to use. Pre-cat lacquer can be dangerous. Be sure to use the respirator filters recommended by the manufacturer.

BTW, I suspect that the reason that SW only sells their pre-cat in large containers is that they intend it for professional use

Michael Pyron
04-21-2009, 8:49 PM
SW manufactures and sells 1 gallon containers....many stores don't sell them in those quantities...out of 5 or 6 local SW stores only 1 in my area sells 1 gallon containers of their Hi-Bild Pre-Cat lacquer (T77 F57)...I must say that it is far cheaper per gallon in the 5 gallon drum!