PDA

View Full Version : Wood Floor refinishing question

Sean Troy
04-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I have about 800 sq.ft. of wood floor thats on my spring time to do list as a re-finishing project. Over the years it has been waxed ( colored wax) and buffed as the finish. I plan on sanding just enough to get back to the natural wood and put a clear coat finish on it. What would you all recommend as a good brand finish? I'm looking to go with a satin finish. Thanks for any help/info. Sean

Greg Cuetara
04-20-2009, 8:15 PM
Sean,
Have you sanded floors before? Might be worth asking or going out for a quote for someone else to do the sanding. If you are looking for brands of finishes take a look at waterlox. I belive they have a good finish for floors.
Greg

Neal Clayton
04-20-2009, 8:24 PM
i really like waterlox as a floor finish. polyurethane is too plastic'y for me, waterlox leaves some of the wood's natural texture. and waterlox is alot easier to apply, imo.

the same varnish everyone uses for other wood items works great as a floor finish.

Sean Troy
04-20-2009, 8:42 PM
Sean,
Have you sanded floors before? Might be worth asking or going out for a quote for someone else to do the sanding. If you are looking for brands of finishes take a look at waterlox. I belive they have a good finish for floors.
Greg
Yes, I've sanded a lot of new installs of solid hardwoods. this will be so much easier as I'm just removing finish and some minor scratches.

Scott T Smith
04-20-2009, 11:45 PM
The most durable finish that I know of is moisture-cure polyurethane. I highly recommend the non-yellowing type.