PDA

View Full Version : Nova Compac Chuck

Dale Thompson
08-01-2004, 9:45 PM
Hi Folks,
As a starter, I NEVER criticize a product without getting support. My history proves that I am capable of messing up the simplest plans, tools, projects, etc.. :( As a point of reference, however, I have a Supernova Chuck on my big lathe and have not had a single problem with it in more than five years of use.

Conversely, I waited about five months (not a BIG problem) for the Nova Compac because I thought that it would be less abusive to the bearings on my Jet VS Mini. The problem is that I can't seem to get it to hold a round tenon when I try to turn small "cups" which may eventually become scoops. That means cleaning out end grain, as you know. I even broke my CARDINAL rule on reading directions. I stay within the 2" (or whatever)diameter recommendation and the 4" length dimension. My tools are sharpened correctly (I hope). Whatever, my Supernova has been GREAT. The Compac breaks loose at the slightest provocation.

Do I need to get a "grip" or does the the Nova Compac?? :confused:

Thanks for your help! :)

Dale T.

Richard Allen
08-02-2004, 8:30 AM
I seam to recall that the Nova Compact chuck was being droped from the Nova lineup. If you check their website:

http://www.teknatool.com/

If you go to this page:

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Compac/Compac_Chuck.htm

You will see red text that may be of interest. If you got the chuck from Woodcraft less than a year ago you should take it back for a refund. Otherwise contact teknatool with your issue and see what they recomend.

Thanks

Jim Becker
08-02-2004, 8:33 AM
Dale, there have been numerous negative comments on the NOVA Compac chuck that I've seen; paricularly "gripping" problems. To be honest, the SuperNOVA that you like already is not going to be a strain on your smaller lathe. If you want to have one dedicated to your mini, than pick up another SuperNOVA or opt for a OneWay Talon or Vicmarc 100. All three are excellent chucks.

Dick Parr
08-02-2004, 9:04 AM
Dale, I use the SuperNova with my Jet Mini lathe and love it. Have had NO problems with it. I have the mini cole jaws installed along with the 50mm standard jaws full time and it works great with the jet.

Greg Heppeard
08-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Dale,

I have had so many of the compac chucks returned to the store...The Super Nova is a great chuck but the compac is lacking in most areas. How long have you had it? If it's still under warranty, you might want to return it.

Dale Thompson
08-02-2004, 8:31 PM
Thanks guys,
Richard, you are right. The Compac is no longer being manufactured. I guess that it has been a real problem with them from day one.

I guess from an engineering standpoint, the "screw" tightener on the Supernova is much more powerful than the "lever" tightener on the Compac. Although a fact, it seems strange that the "screw" is by far the most inefficient of the "simple machines" that we all remember well from HS science - DUH. :rolleyes: :o

Anyway, Woodcraft (both Sales and Tech) were great about responding to my problem. :) After a general discussion on the Compac, the response was, "Just return it along with the extra set of jaws. You can have a credit or a refund on both - your choice". :D

I've done some business with them in the past. My experience has always been excellent but I have never had a product problem. Now I also know that they stand behind their products.

Thanks again to Woodcraft and you guys for your inputs. :)

It looks like I get another two-week reprieve from the "asylum". :cool:

Dale T.

Jim Becker
08-02-2004, 8:34 PM
Dale, the fact that the Compac chuck used levers shouldn't matter. The basic OneWay chuck as well as the el-cheapo chuck I used to own from Grizzly tightened down with just levers very securely and never let go. Apparently, the folks that designed the Compac made a "boo boo" (technical term...) when they came up with that item!

'Glad that your Woodcraft was accomodating...as they generally are.

Dale Thompson
08-02-2004, 8:51 PM
Dale, the fact that the Compac chuck used levers shouldn't matter. The basic OneWay chuck as well as the el-cheapo chuck I used to own from Grizzly tightened down with just levers very securely and never let go. Apparently, the folks that designed the Compac made a "boo boo" (technical term...) when they came up with that item!

'Glad that your Woodcraft was accomodating...as they generally are.

Jim,
Was it Aristotle who said, "Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world"?

I guess that that is true unless he was using the moon as a fulcrum. ;) :)

Dale T.