PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
04-20-2009, 8:37 AM
20 Apr 2009

Good Morning Everyone,

It's been a stressful week for me as well as a sad one. 2 weeks ago a friend of mine, who was also my mentor at my day job, suddenly passed away and just this past week, another friend of mine lost his 18 year old son to a fight with cancer. Chris was a very good young man and I do know where he is even today, a much better place with no more pain or suffering. My heart still aches for Chris' mom and dad.

Woodworking wise, I've been helping our family doctor build his wife a bookcase out of some pecan he had in his barn. We are now in the stage of applying a finish to it and I'll be ever so glad to get this one done and out of the shop.

The antique school desk is progressing well and I figured out how to make the 1/2 dovetail cuts on the under side of the boards so they will fit on the metal frame. Today will be spent fitting the boards onto the frame, sanding the boards, and applying a quick finish to it. I have to have it done this week, so the pressure is on.

Well, that's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dewey Torres
04-20-2009, 9:14 AM
Spring blizzard on Friday sent every one home.

Ran my last training run for my 1/2 marathon... (a 12miler I ran this weekend) the race is May 3rd 13.1 miles.

Almost finished a new turning... it will be done later this week if not tomorrow.

Awaiting some new inlay material I have some plans ahead!

GERALD HARGROVE
04-20-2009, 9:24 AM
Took a half day off on Friday, weather was great, and could not think of a better place to spend a beutiful day, but in the shop. Finished four end tables, two for my wife and two sold.

Myk Rian
04-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Started the box for my scriber and awl.

Todd Burch
04-20-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm finishing up 3 sets of lockers for a local troubled-teen center. 16 cubbies each. I'm making the doors now. The cases are together and the door parts are all cut out. I just primed and painted the inside edges of the door's rails and stiles. So, the doors are ready for assembly (3 doors @ 23 5/8" wide x 73" tall). After the doors are together, I'll premount them to the cases and then prime everything and paint, then hopefully deliver by the weekend.

Here's a drawing.

Todd

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Reclaimed some good 3/4" german made plywood from a crate. Cleaned the carport and had dinner with some friends.

Sunday...had lunch with some friends and moved my router table from the shed to the shop. Got it set up, mounted and aligned my router.

Jim O'Dell
04-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Chilled out Sat am while the wife was doing her music teacher stuff. Played with the 2 puppies. Less than a week before they go to their new home. Sure going to miss them.
Built a ZCI Sunday out of Corian with a dove tailed slot for an interchangeable insert. Still have at least one more try before I have all the features I want incorporated into it. Might try to play with that some this evening after work before the Mavs/Spurs game comes on. Jim.

Fred Voorhees
04-20-2009, 2:07 PM
Not a bad weekend. Great weather on Saturday. I started the day off by heading down to the post office to mail off a jewelry box that I had been comissioned to do by a dude in Glasgow, Scotland. Pretty pricey to mail it...glad I wasn't footing the bill. After that it was time to break out the lawn mower (both power push and riding lawn) and get them up and running and once that was accomplished.....using them. The first one or two mowing of the year are always kinda sucky since the onion grass kind of looks crappy. After the first two cuttings, the lawn looks great. Pulled my 14' aluminum boat out of storage and began to look it and its motor over since the first Delaware River bass fishing float is being planned for a few weeks ahead. Finally got the fuel filter bowl to come lose so that I could clean the sediment out of it. Saturday night I got in my first of many Saturday night dirt track stock car shows at my local speedway in central NJ.

Sunday was a little more time putzing around the house before our son came with our grandson and I spent some happy time with little Josh, pushing him around the driveway in his stroller, feeding him and giving him a bottle. Good weekend all around.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-20-2009, 2:23 PM
I got the trim attached to my new torsion box assembly table and one coat of sealer applied.

Hmm... that's all I got done? Wow, I work slowly.

Steve Southwood
04-20-2009, 6:09 PM
Busy here as well, worked on some reclaimed boards Sat morning. Then been building a storage system for the wifes scrapbooking stamps. As usual, all the math was done and the changes started.

Also found the time to seperate and haul off 7 calves to market.

Scott Donley
04-20-2009, 6:52 PM
Had a GREAT weekend, My B-Day was Sunday and Saturday afternoon there was a knock at the door, it was my daughter who had flown in from Colorado Springs to surprise me for my B- Day, It was :D So, spent my weekend talking and eating, saw her off at 5:30 this morning so now it's time to do the yard work I skipped.

Jim Becker
04-20-2009, 9:46 PM
Well, it was horse show weekend, so there was a lot of time spend in equestrian pursuits...but I did get some time on the big orange power tool (Kubota) eliminating the last of the fill piles from our addition project and helped Professor Dr. SWMBO do some pond maintenance including installation of a new pump.

The horse show turned out well. My younger, Alesya, competed for the first time and did very well including one first, one second, two thirds and two fourths. Things have really clicked with her in the last month!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/A1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/A2.jpg

My older, Nastia also did well considering missing over a month of riding due to an appendectomy and some other issues

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/N1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/N2.jpg

I can't complain about my day, either...reserve champion for the day and top points winner for the four show series in Adult Rider...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/J1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/J2.jpg

Todd Burch
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Jim, thanks for posting pics! Those two girls are growing up fast! I remember when you got 'em!

Joe Mioux
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
worked Sat.

rained all day Sunday, so I turned a bowl from some hard maple. that was fun.

cleaned up my work bench, etc.... then had a beer or two.

joe

Matt Meiser
04-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Finished up the drywall work on my wall removal project and got the knockdown texture and first coat of paint on the ceiling and the wall primed. Put a new cord on my reciprocating saw. Put some chrome goodies on the new truck. And slept a lot after a very long work week.

James Manning
04-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Started on new deck and outdoor bathroom additions, 8x10 upper and a 12 X 24 lower deck. Both have been a pain in my lower back......:cool:

oh well at least I could look up and see the shop.......:p

Jim Rimmer
04-20-2009, 10:44 PM
What is a ZCI ('scuse my ignorance)

Mike Langford
04-20-2009, 11:00 PM
What is a ZCI ('scuse my ignorance)

Zero Clearance Insert for his table saw....

Dan Forman
04-21-2009, 4:22 AM
I cut up a lilac stump my neighbor gave me into pen blanks, boy does my shop smell good now. Lilac smells a lot like olive wood.

Got started on a pair of lathe tool racks, getting tired of having to clear off of the jointer table or the MFT every time I have to use either one.

Dan

Jim Rimmer
04-21-2009, 9:35 PM
Zero Clearance Insert for his table saw....

Thanks. I'm new to SMC and am a little slow on some of the acronyms.:o