PDA

View Full Version : Teknatool Nova 1624-44 tailstock problem

Mike Minto
04-20-2009, 7:22 AM
I'm having trouble with the 'key', or keeper, coming out of the groove in the handwheel on my tailstock; this causes the wheel to come off the threaded part of the quill, resulting in no quill movement and a very disappointed turner. anyone else have an issue with this? any suggestions on how you might have fixed it? i am aware of the set-screw, and have tried to get it to work but to no avail. thanks for any help, mike :mad:

Bob Hamilton
04-20-2009, 7:40 AM
If you look at the tailstock handwheel you should see a hole in the plate near the crank handle. If you rotate the handwheel until the hole is at the twelve o'clock position it should align with a hole in the tailstock casting. Reaching through there with an allen key of the correct size (can't recall what that is off the top of my head) will allow you to tighten the set screw that is supposed to lock the keeper in place. It is a VERY easy adjustment to miss.

Take care
Bob

Mike Minto
04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Bob, thanks for the reply. As I said in my post, I am aware of the set-screw, and have backed it out so I may completely remove the 'key' which catches the groove in the handwheel; when replacing the 'key', I just can't get it to capture the shaft of the handwheel, I guess - I'll keep trying, and read any more replies which come up. I've also contacted Tim Geist (Teknatool support rep in W. VA) and may have to ship my entire tailstock to him for inspection / possible replacement. Well see. Mike :)

Alan Trout
04-20-2009, 2:32 PM
Mike, I am not quite sure what the problem is but let me give you some ideas to look at. I have taken My DVR tail stock apart several times for cleaning. First when you pull the retaining plate out make sure that there are no burs on the plate where it fits in the grove/slot in the tail stock or hand wheel. In reality if the plate is fitting correctly the set screw really does not do that much except keep the retaining plate from falling out. Also with the plate removed see if you can get the set screw to protrude into the slot where the plate fits. If the plate is fitting into the hand wheel and the slot in the tailstock it should be retained.

The first time I took mine apart I sanded both sides of the retaining plate so it slid in easy.

Good Luck

Alan