PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Boards

Mike OMelia
04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Would somebody explain the concept, technique to me? I build guitars and keep hearing about it... but I cannot visualize how it all works. I mean, I get some of it, but not all. I need it for squaring the edges of two piece tops and backs.

Mike

Stephen Edwards
04-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Would somebody explain the concept, technique to me? I build guitars and keep hearing about it... but I cannot visualize how it all works. I mean, I get some of it, but not all. I need it for squaring the edges of two piece tops and backs.

Mike

I didn't know either what they are. I just did a google search using the phrase "shooting board". This seems to be a pretty good explanation here:

http://www.fineboxes.com/ShootingBoard.htm

Hope that helps.

harry strasil
04-20-2009, 12:42 AM
to shoot, a surveyor (shoots) a straight line between 2 points . to shoot a board is to get the most perfect straight and square edge on one or more boards for a glue joint. Woodworkers use a shoot board which is a board with the most perfect straight edge they can get to hold the plane used to shoot a board edge for glue up and maintain a square 90 degree edge at the same time.

George Beck
04-20-2009, 6:59 AM
A "shooting" board is a jig that acts as a trimming machine. The concept is using a known straight edge and square edge to guide the plane. The plane sole rides on a straight edge or "Chute" and the wood is planed to that edge, a template of sorts. Derek Cohen covers this topic very well and made a beautiful shooting board. You can see it here http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/index.html

The shooting board when built correctly( it must be perfectly straight and square and mated with a plane that is also square) is a remarkable precision instrument. One of the easiest ways to mill miters perfect or glue joints is to shoot them straight. The shooting board has great application for Luthier work. Today even though we have table saw blades that leave mirror finishes on end grain and planner smooth edges and jointers,how do you edge plane a piece of wood that is 2" wide and 1/4" thick? The shooting board! I use a shooting board to bookmatch thin boards (like a guitar back). I simply clamp or hold down one piece on top of the mating piece and shoot the edge until the plane stops cutting(the edge of the plane reaches the edge of the shooting board). I now have two straight and square edges ready to glue up. A well tuned plane can take a thousandth of an inch shaving so a shooting board is also great for veneer. I am sure this post seems to ramble on and on (I do that a lot), but the shooting board is another one of those vital ancient tools that just simply works better than machines for some applications.

George

Bob Genovesi
04-20-2009, 7:08 AM
And now I know as well!

Thank you! :o

Mike OMelia
04-20-2009, 9:23 AM
A "shooting" board is a jig that acts as a trimming machine. The concept is using a known straight edge and square edge to guide the plane. The plane sole rides on a straight edge or "Chute" and the wood is planed to that edge, a template of sorts. Derek Cohen covers this topic very well and made a beautiful shooting board. You can see it here http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/index.html

The shooting board when built correctly( it must be perfectly straight and square and mated with a plane that is also square) is a remarkable precision instrument. One of the easiest ways to mill miters perfect or glue joints is to shoot them straight. The shooting board has great application for Luthier work. Today even though we have table saw blades that leave mirror finishes on end grain and planner smooth edges and jointers,how do you edge plane a piece of wood that is 2" wide and 1/4" thick? The shooting board! I use a shooting board to bookmatch thin boards (like a guitar back). I simply clamp or hold down one piece on top of the mating piece and shoot the edge until the plane stops cutting(the edge of the plane reaches the edge of the shooting board). I now have two straight and square edges ready to glue up. A well tuned plane can take a thousandth of an inch shaving so a shooting board is also great for veneer. I am sure this post seems to ramble on and on (I do that a lot), but the shooting board is another one of those vital ancient tools that just simply works better than machines for some applications.

George

George,

That link was an excellent tutorial! Thank you.

Mike

Greg Hines, MD
04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Stevens link is a great tutorial on shooting boards, for square and miters. I use Bench Hooks for hand work, and will sometimes shoot with them, using a piece of hardboard under them to elevate the plane side.

Doc

Mike OMelia
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes, both links are exceptionally useful and helpful. Thanks,

Mike

David DeCristoforo
04-20-2009, 6:30 PM
I have never read so many mis-informed answers to a question in as long as I can remember. There are several types of shooting boards. One type is used in target ranges to back the "human head and torso" targets that you see being perforated by 38 Magnum and 45 calibre slugs in all those cop shows on TV. They are made of a composite material designed to capture the bullets so that they don't go through the wall and kill somebody outside. Then there is the "shooting board" that you often see flying out of the operator side of table saws. And finally there is the verb form "shooting boards" which is what many woodworkers feel like doing sometimes when things just don't seem to want to go together.

Brian Kent
04-20-2009, 7:24 PM
David, it is a great honor to be cured of our misinformation by such an experienced shooter as yourself:rolleyes:.

Mike Cutler
04-20-2009, 7:28 PM
I have never read so many mis-informed answers to a question in as long as I can remember. There are several types of shooting boards. One type is used in target ranges to back the "human head and torso" targets that you see being perforated by 38 Magnum and 45 calibre slugs in all those cop shows on TV. They are made of a composite material designed to capture the bullets so that they don't go through the wall and kill somebody outside. Then there is the "shooting board" that you often see flying out of the operator side of table saws. And finally there is the verb form "shooting boards" which is what many woodworkers feel like doing sometimes when things just don't seem to want to go together.

Ahyup, naw thar's a real strait' shootah'

You crack me up David, we need to get together for some beers some day.

Billy Chambless
04-20-2009, 7:35 PM

It's this kind of right-on-target advice that's caused some of us to read your articles since before there was a WWW.

;)

David DeCristoforo
04-20-2009, 7:58 PM
"...we need to get together for some beers some day..."

OK... but mine will have to be "root" beers because I'm allergic to alcohol....