PDA

View Full Version : Ta-Da ... My first peppermill

Rick Prosser
04-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Got to make my first pepper mill in a class on Sat. Been putting of getting a pepper mill until I could turn my own.
I am so glad I took the class instead of going solo. Turns out the turning is the easiest part. All the drilling and fixturing is the hard part. Would have been a very frustrating experience without some guidance.

Got to turn a new wood too - Bubinga. Very dense pretty wood. I like the bit of sap wood that was there.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Great looking mill Rick. They will get easier everyone you do. Really nice piece of wood to. What kind of finish did you use?

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Rick - great Ta-Da photo! Made me laugh! Great looking pepper mill! Very pretty wood, good form and finish! Glad to hear the class worked out for you!

Rick Prosser
04-19-2009, 11:06 PM
The finish is Friction Polish. I would choose a more durable finish for future mills, but I can keep this one looking good.

Billy Tallant
04-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Rick,

Great looking peppermill. I haven't had the chance to turn one yet myself. I want to take a class at woodcrafts instead of venturing solo on it. The wood contrast looks great on yours.

George Guadiane
04-20-2009, 12:58 AM
As your mill shows, wood selection is also an important part of the process.
Nice Selection - Great Mill!

Bruce McElhaney
04-20-2009, 11:18 AM
The first peppermill is the hardest to do. It gets a lot easier after you've made a few. After a while you can practically do them in your sleep. Remember there is more than one way to make a peppermill. As you mentioned the turning portion is the easy part. I know, as I tried several different drilling routines before settling on the one that fits me and my tools best. BTW, I usually recommend a softer wood for the first peppermill, Bubinga is not the easiest wood to drill, turn or finish. But yours looks good.

Mark Burge
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Nice mill, Rick. I've been wondering if I should take a class too, but I hate to break my self-taught badge of honor.

Dave Halter
04-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Looks great! I've been wanting to try one of those myself.

Dave

Brian McInturff
04-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Very nice indeed! You did well. And picking the riight wood is key for a Mill. Good Job!!

Dewey Torres
04-21-2009, 3:44 AM
Rick,
Nice to see a fellow Noob doing well!:)

Kirk Miller
04-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Very nice mill Rick. I almost have all the stuff to start one, I just need the Forstner bits. I hope my first turns out as nice as yours

Kirk

Chris Rae
04-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Nice mill! I have yet to try one, but I might have to gather up the stuff and give it a whirl. I hope my first one looks that good.