PDA

View Full Version : three firsts - HF, finial and photo tent

Terry Achey
04-19-2009, 9:49 PM
Well.... I finally finished my first hollow form attempt. The shape and style is nothing special. I was more focused on procedure and getting the "feel" for hollowing. Then, when I finished the HF I was inpsired to try making a base and a finial like the many beatiful pieces I see on the "creek".

As if that wasn't enough.... I purchased a photo tent and lights months ago and so, today I printed the article by Neal Addy and attempted to improve my photo quality. I hand it to Neal for creating a terrific entry-level tutorial. Esay to read and follow.

Walnut bowl about 5" high with cherry base and finial. Finish is Danish Oil buffed with carnuba wax. Nothing special, but fun to do and I learned enough to know I'll be doing some more in the future :D.

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques always welcome.

Terry

Steve Mawson
04-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Looks to me like you are well on your way to some beautiful pieces. Pictures are very good, you did superb. I can only hope to do as well in the future.

Billy Tallant
04-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Terry,

Congratulations on accomplishing all 3 firsts. Great looking job on all aspects including photos...

Dewey Torres
04-20-2009, 1:02 AM
You can certainly tell the photo tent its working. That is one classy piece and photo!

George Guadiane
04-20-2009, 1:07 AM
Comments and critiques always welcome.

Terry
Taking you at your word:
Overall, I like it...
There are two SMALL things I noticed
1The curve from the shoulder on the hollow form is a little straight for my taste, and the curve of the base piece doesn't match that.
This is a GREAT first attempt at a hollow form/pedestal (wish my firsts looked so good). You did a really nice job on the finish.
And I didn't notice the lighting or background, so I guess the tent is really good!

Steve Schlumpf
04-20-2009, 8:45 AM
Terry,

First off - very nice work on everything, especially for your first time! Hollow forms can be very addictive - so consider yourself warned!

As far as form for the HF, as well as the finial and base, I think you did pretty good. You will find that as you turn more of these, the form will improve and the curves will become more flowing.

Photos are a great start. There is a lot to learn - as Neals' tutorial can point out in a hurry! Watch your groupings, shadows, focus and point of view (perspective) and remember that your photo is our only means to view your turning. Take your time and experiment with different poses and shadows (lighting).

Other thing to bring to your attention is the size of your photos. Limit the size to 800x600 pixels, max file size of 107.7 KB and you retain control of the final version of your photo. If you allow the vBulletin software to resize for you - you have no control over what is posted and many times the compression ratio costs you in terms of color and focus.

Very nice work overall Terry! Looking forward to seeing your next hollow form!

John Terefenko
04-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Terry

That is alot of first and I think you did a first rate job on all of them. What is the background you are using in your phototent and did it come with it or did you purchase it seperately???? If so where??? Thanks.

Jarrod McGehee
04-20-2009, 8:29 PM
That looks quite nice and I like the overall shape. it's not bad for a first timer. I haven't attempted one yet. I need some more practice first.

Brian McInturff
04-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Very, very nice work for your first time. I can tell you are going to advance quickly with your HF's.

Terry Achey
04-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Appreciate all the feedback. Your suggestions are sincerely more than welcome.

John - I purchased the graduated background from phototechinc.com. I think it was the 31" wide #39. I had to trim the edges a bit to fit inside my 30" tent. I would strongly suggest a read of Neal Addy's photo article on his website for some sound inexpensive equipment advise, too.

Steve - Your photo comments are well received. I like the middle photo. However, the objects appear to be floating in air due to the lack of shadows. I'll need to experiment a bit more with the lighting nuances.

Could be a while until I get to the next piece. Heading to Missouri for turkey season mid-week, and then back to PA for our season late next week. Really, really enjoy the hunt but the 4 AM wake up calls suck :(.

Terry

Terry Achey
04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Terry,

Other thing to bring to your attention is the size of your photos. Limit the size to 800x600 pixels, max file size of 107.7 KB and you retain control of the final version of your photo. If you allow the vBulletin software to resize for you - you have no control over what is posted and many times the compression ratio costs you in terms of color and focus.

Steve, how does one go about limiting the size of the photo?

Terry