PDA

View Full Version : Compressor hose question

Louis Brandt
04-19-2009, 9:03 PM
Hello,

I'm getting ready to buy the Porter-Cable compressor and finish nailer kit and, since I've never used a compressor and nail gun before, I have two general questions.

This is an oilless compressor, but should it be drained after each use?

Does the length of hose matter as far as pressure is concerned?

Thanks,

Louis

Jim Kountz
04-19-2009, 9:07 PM
Hello,

I'm getting ready to buy the Porter-Cable compressor and finish nailer kit and, since I've never used a compressor and nail gun before, I have two general questions.

This is an oilless compressor, but should it be drained after each use?
Yes absolutely

Does the length of hose matter as far as pressure is concerned?
No not really. I run up to 200ft at times with no problems.

Thanks,

Louis

Any compressor will still produce condensation and water just from making compressed air. Draining the tank is the life of them.
You can run any length of hose but the same is not true for power cords. Try to avoid using extension cords whenever possible and if you do have to use one make sure it can carry the START load not just the run load. These figures should be in your manual or on the motor itself or both.

Tom Veatch
04-19-2009, 10:16 PM
This is an oilless compressor, but should it be drained after each use? Oiled, oilless, it doesn't matter. If you're talking about draining condensation from the tank, that should be done regularly to prevent moisture buildup inside the tank and reduce the potential for corrosion and moisture transfer to the air tools. If you're talking about relieving pressure in the tank - draining the tank to zero pressure after use - there's a difference of opinion on that. Mine stays pressurized 24/7 for a couple of reasons. First, I simply hate to throw away that stored energy for no good purpose. Second, cyclic stresses do more metallurgical damage to the tank that static stress. In other words, continued cycles of pressurization/depressurization is more conducive to metal fatigue than leaving the tank pressurized. However, in practical terms, the stress levels, unless severely overpressurized, are low enough that it's not likely that you'd notice any significant difference in tank life in either case. As far as depressurization is concerned, do whichever is more comfortable for you.
Does the length of hose matter as far as pressure is concerned? Yes, it does. The longer the hose, the more pressure drop you'll see at the tool end of the hose. In other words, for a given hose diameter, a long hose will require a higher regulator setting to deliver the same pressure and flow rate at the tool than will a short hose. For low cfm, intermittent flow tools like nailers, it's not very significant. For high cfm, constant flow tools at the end of a long hose, there can be a significant pressure drop between the regulator and the tool.

Chip Lindley
04-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Short Version: YES and NO...

Scott T Smith
04-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes, it does. The longer the hose, the more pressure drop you'll see at the tool end of the hose. In other words, for a given hose diameter, a long hose will require a higher regulator setting to deliver the same pressure and flow rate at the tool than will a short hose. For low cfm, intermittent flow tools like nailers, it's not very significant. For high cfm, constant flow tools at the end of a long hose, there can be a significant pressure drop between the regulator and the tool.

+1

For air nailers, no big deal re the size of the hose. For air tools, such as drills, impact guns, etc, hose diameter and length (in addition to the size of the air storage tank) plays a significant role in the performance of the tool.

Don Eddard
04-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Tom nailed everything I was going to say. So I'll just agree with him.

Jim Kountz
04-20-2009, 1:14 AM
While what the others are saying is true let me explain why I told you otherwise. First of all you were asking specifically about a compressor/nailer combo so in terms of hose length it really doesnt matter. On my jobs I have a trailer with my compressor in it. From that I run a 50' hose that terminates in a four-way connection. Just the other day I had a man on the roof with a roofing nailer, a guy was installing trim and I was spraying some poly in the basement, all off the the same 5hp 25 gal compressor. Sure it ran more frequent that usual but thats not my point. My spray gun has a pressure gauge, not a regulator but a gauge attached to it. I noticed small, very small drops in pressure when the roofer was going to town but nothing that even started to effect my sprayer. All in all I was running a total of 250' of hose.
So while it is true that you could experience some pressure loss by running longer hoses in the real world and with your application, its just easier to say it doesnt matter. Because, well, it just doesnt.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-20-2009, 2:29 AM
Bottom line, it's critical to use the right size, diameter, hose for the job at hand. I suspect that Jim has a great heavy duty hose system which will show very little effect from the length, just because the capacity of the hoses is many times over the actual requirments. Correct?

On the other hand, a hose with exactly the diameter required to supply a given constant demand tool will have different results with a short and a long hose. This would not matter so much on a nail gun as it is a momentary tool, and the recharge rate is pretty quick.

Just guessing here, but I'm going venture that a typical finish nailer would work just fine on the end of a 500' or longer 3/8" hose, so in all practicality, no it won't matter how long the hose is.

Tom Hargrove
04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
While the wisdom regarding the hose sizes is valuable, for this compressor it is probably not a big deal. I have one of these compressor/gun sets, and have used it for four years or so. Other than some of the Crapsman models, it is probably the noisiest compressor that I have ever worked with. However, it has served me well for shop work, trim work and strip flooring installation. The oiled version, which comes mounted on a cart, is much quieter.

Please be aware that this compressor does not have enough capacity to run anything other than nail guns or staplers. It will run one or two trim guns, floor nailers or frame nailers without a problem, but anything that uses significant volumes of air (wrenches, sanders, drills, paint equipment) will quickly overtake its ability to make compressed air. From experience, I can tell you it will not supply an impact wrench. I'm not knocking the machine, just stating a fact.

I've used trim guns on 100' hoses (for noise reasons) with this compressor without a problem.

Greg Bender
04-20-2009, 4:35 PM
Louis,
I would try to avoid the oilless design of that compressor and try to find one of the Dewalt oil lubricated pumps.There quieter and it will last a hell of alot longer.There are several other brands of oil lubed pumps but I bought the Dewalt and love it.I work at Ingersoll Rand building air compressors and all the good units use oil lube based designs.
Greg