PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW50 euro style planer/thicknesser

Blake Barr
04-19-2009, 9:03 PM
Dewalt DW50 pics... I picked it up on friday. I've put a little curly maple through it but I'll reserve my comments until I have the knives sharpened. I'm going to try and find a stateside distributor for knives as well (holbren doesn't do double sided, or slotted knives). Here is some pics:

Blake Barr
04-19-2009, 9:04 PM
Some more pics, .... 260mm x 21mm x 3mmis the knife size... I haven't found any stateside yet

Steve Rozmiarek
04-20-2009, 12:16 AM
See, you learn something every day. I had no idea that machine existed. Congrats, and hope it works well for you!

Dan Forman
04-20-2009, 3:47 AM
I don't know what kind of knives that one takes, but here is where I used to get Tersa blades for my MiniMax J/P, which are also metric and double sided. Can you tell who made the cutter head?

http://www.simantechinc.com/index.php?action=category&id=2

Dan

Blake Barr
04-20-2009, 6:26 AM
The blades are not double sided and the current knives are DeWalt branded... I'll give it a look but I don't think it's tersa and the blades are not double sided. I did notice there are state side dealers that sell the tersa blades though. I would be nice if they worked....

Dino Drosas
04-20-2009, 9:57 AM
I have seen one of those before. Very nice machine and a great score!. You should go to: www.estausa.com and look at the "Dispoze-a-Blade" system. I feel sure they can help you and the upgrade to a double sided disposable that can be changed in minutes would be the bomb. I converted a Felder J/P to this system in the early 1990's. It was easy and not cost prohibitive. This system is now standard on the newer Felder machines.

Jim Kountz
04-20-2009, 2:12 PM
See, you learn something every day. I had no idea that machine existed. Congrats, and hope it works well for you!

+1 on that!! Cool looking machine though. Whodathunkit??

Dan Forman
04-20-2009, 3:00 PM
The blades are not double sided and the current knives are DeWalt branded... I'll give it a look but I don't think it's tersa and the blades are not double sided. I did notice there are state side dealers that sell the tersa blades though. I would be nice if they worked....

They carry a lot of stuff other than Tersa, you could call or email and tell them what you have and see if they can help you. Does the cutter head have any writing on it? It may be made by another company than DeWalt.

Dan

Blake Barr
04-20-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't remember what the cutterhead has on it but I saw that it was made by a company called elu or ela.. something like that. It has made in italy all over it from the blades to the motor... I dropped the current blades off to be sharpened (won't get them back till NEXT thursday) and I gave in and ordered 2 extra sets of knives from a british site (http://www.axminster.co.uk/). I think if I updated to anything on the cutterhead I'd want a byrd or shellix... I like the idea of simply rotating a chipped cutter head rather than changing knives...

It's nice to use, doesn't snipe AT ALL (my delta tp305 was miserable) and I'm getting used to the jointer part. I still went back to my delta jointer (6" open stand style) but I think I'll like this once once I adjust the tables to my specs/set the new knives etc... I just don't feel right unless I personally tuned the tool...

dantho van eyk
04-25-2009, 4:39 AM
Hi, can anybody please tell me what the specifications are for the dewalt dw50 thicknesser/planer. I'm from South Africa, and I can buy one for R2500. Somenone please help

Blake Barr
04-26-2009, 9:18 AM
Well it's a 2hp 220v 10" thicknesses/planer. I could only find the blades on UK sites (I only speak English). It's made in Italy, doesn't snipe at all, has aluminum beds. I have no idea how much R2500 is but I paid $300 USD for mine.

dantho van eyk
04-27-2009, 4:56 AM
Thank you for the post. R2500.00 is the south african Rand currency. I was just wondering if I could get spare parts for the machine, because it looks quite old.
Did the machine have any problems that you did not like?
Thanks, and enjoy your day

Blake Barr
04-27-2009, 8:31 AM
Mine is in great shape. I know you can get some parts for it. I think I prefer cast iron beds but this is a very heavy machine despite the aluminum beds. The only think I haven't liked so far is the fact the knives where dull, the local sharpening service takes a week and the new knives have to be ordered from the Uk. I haven't had much of a chance to use it.

Ohh and to a previous question the cutter head is dewalt branded...

Dave Sabo
04-29-2009, 1:00 AM
Try Schmidt for knives. They'll have them or will certainly cut them for you out of stock. A set of three should be under a hundred bucks.

Larry Edgerton
04-29-2009, 7:22 AM
Cool machine! Dewalt/BD bought out ELU a few years ago. Whatever company Dewalt buys is in for a downward spiral into oblivion, as Porter Cable is experiancing now.

I use knives from Esta as well, and they are consistantly awesome! They will make custom holders for your machine if need be, and you will never have to set height again.