PDA

View Full Version : 5 Barns Picnic

Walt Drummond
08-01-2004, 5:46 PM
Just got home from Penn, and the 5 Barns Complex. Wanted to leave a heart felt thanks to Bill nad Lisa for hosting yet again a mob of hungry,sweaty, gabbing people who all seemed to have a terric time.

The tour of the old tool shop down the road, (i have forgotten the gentleman's name) was fantastic. And the WoodMizer demo was well worth the trip by itself.

Food was fantastic and plentiful, as was the ice cold soda and water. But the best was seeing all the old faces and meeting a lot of new ones. Can't wait till Next year.

Alan Turner
08-01-2004, 7:01 PM
Walt,
Let me jon you in thanking Bill and Lisa for being wonderful hosts. A good time was had by all. I could only stay for Friday as had family commitments, and was sorry to miss Sat. Dave Anderson was there with his Chester Toolworks offerings, all beautifully made.

The name of the fellow down the raod was Bill Phillips, I think, and he has a bit of my money. I thought his planes were a bit spendy, but I now have 5 additional back saws, and 3 great old Bucks Brothers crank neck chisels, which are not that easy to find. 3 of the saws are Disstons, one from 1865-1871 ("Henry Disston & Son"), a John Spear brass back, and a Spear and Jackson. All are dead straight, with no pitting. None will cut a lick just yet, however. Is John Spear related to the Spear in Spear and Jackson? Or, is it Spears and Jackson.

Dave Anderson NH
08-02-2004, 5:27 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed myself at Bill and Lisa's picnic and it was absolutely worth the 6+ hour drive from NH. While it was hot and humid, the weather cooperated for the most part and the rain held off until things were over Saturday nite. The demos and the samples of folks work on display were great, but for me the pinnacle of the event was getting to meet people face to face. I've "known" some of the folks from the various woodworking forums for as much as six or more years and getting to shake their hands and talk in real time was dynamite. For those of you who thought about coming but decided it was too far, or a bit strange to go to a meeting of folks from the net, you missed out on a truly enjoyable time and the chance to meet some great people. The fellowship, camaraderie, and just plain fun would have made it worth crawling to.

Thanks again Bill and Lisa !!

Jim McFall
08-02-2004, 9:02 AM
This was the second year for me attending this noted event. I am already looking forward to next year. Bill, Lisa, THANKS for your efforts and please know that everyone I spoke to was most appreciative of your hospitiality.

Sure hope you decide to do it again .

Jim