PDA

View Full Version : I am sure this is a scam-

Kerry Adams
04-19-2009, 8:16 PM
Good Evening,

I posted a Treo phone on Craigslist this afternoon, and got a response asking if I would accept paypal. I said yes, then got a response saying that he would send me a 150.00 to ship it internationally. The phone was listed at 50.00. Do they put the money in my account and then take it out?

Thanks,
Kerry

Leo Graywacz
04-19-2009, 8:52 PM
Scam. You will lose your phone and $100

Joe Pelonio
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
As Leo said.

Paypal payment with stolen credit card, you pay for the shipping, then the credit card owner reports it.

Kerry Adams
04-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Thats what I thought. Thanks for the replys!

Greg Peterson
04-20-2009, 1:01 AM
Number one rule for Craigslist: Cash only.

No checks and no shipping.

Mike Cutler
04-20-2009, 5:00 AM
Good Evening,

Do they put the money in my account and then take it out?

Thanks,
Kerry

No.
They produce a fake bank check for payment,and rely on the fact that you have shipped the item before the bank realizes the bank check, or money order is fake.
If you play it out long enough. They'll promise to send you a bank check(fake) for a much greater amount, and try to get you to send them a check (real) for an amount that makes it look like you are really making out.

Internet search under Nigerian Scam will show you how the mechanics of the con work.

Russ Filtz
04-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Only potential protection from this is to say you will ship the phone 6-mos AFTER payment has cleared. That should possibly protect you from chargebacks since it is after the normal 3-mos waiting period. If the buyer wants it enough they will wait, or scurry back into their hole.