PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Full Extension Slides

Anthony Whitesell
04-19-2009, 8:12 PM
Finally after almost 18 months, I ready to put the drawers in my router table. As I grabbed the drawers slides and the drawer boxes, I wondered where would be the best mounting location? At the top, the bottom, or in the center? Where do you mount yours?

Eric Roberge
04-19-2009, 8:57 PM
Anthony,
I prefer bottom mount (MHO). What type of slides do you have?

Stephen Edwards
04-19-2009, 9:40 PM
Though I mount mine on the bottom of the drawer sides I can't give you a logical reason for why I do that except to say that's how I've always done it!

Don Bullock
04-19-2009, 10:40 PM
I have to admit that I've never used full extension slides so I'll be watching to see what kind of replies you get.

glenn bradley
04-19-2009, 10:48 PM
About 3/8" up from the bottom of the drawer. Don't know why.

Tony Bilello
04-19-2009, 11:26 PM
About 1/4 to 1/2 way up from the bottom. Some larger drawers are heavy even when empty and that position seems to keep the weight balanced and makes them easier to get in and out.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I like the bottom, it's easy to just set the drawer on the bench and screw on the slides. HOWEVER, make for sure that you know what is going to move, and how much when you open the drawers. I know a guy that made a big inset drawer cabinet, but failed to take into account the fact that the slides hang down as far as they do when the second stage starts to slide. This caused the next drawer down to open as well.:o Tried to convience my wife that it was a convienience feature, but she didn't buy it. Just make sure you know the clearances. Guess that pearl applies to practically any way that you might mount them!

Bob Genovesi
04-20-2009, 7:22 AM
And the bottoms have it! :D

Karl Brogger
04-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Though I mount mine on the bottom of the drawer sides I can't give you a logical reason for why I do that except to say that's how I've always done it!

Same here. The part of the slide that attaches to the drawer itself, I mount 3/4" up from the bottom of the drawer side. Then what goes in the cabinet ends up 5/8" up from the bottom of the opening using the same spacer because of I hold my stretchers down a 1/8" from the face frame.

I don't think there is really a wrong answer to this. If there is, I can't think of it

Chris Friesen
04-20-2009, 6:33 PM
If you want to get picky, the most efficient place for a side-mount slide is directly in line with the drawer pull. That way the force to pull the drawer out is directly along the slide.

On most drawers it doesn't matter, but the taller/heavier the drawer the more benefit you gain from this.

Anthony Whitesell
04-20-2009, 8:11 PM
Then I guess I go with the bottom edge, as the drawers will have finger pull fronts to avoid any protuding drawer hardware for me to snag anything on.

Todd Burch
04-20-2009, 9:27 PM
If you put the slides @ the top, anytime you were to grab the drawer side when open, you would get grease on your hands from the slides being at the top.

Brian D Anderson
04-21-2009, 8:10 AM
Bottom here too. And that's only because I use the Kreg drawer slide mounting tool. (http://www.kregtool.com/products/okp/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=6) And that's where it puts them. :D

-Brian