PDA

View Full Version : ZCI, Coolmeadow style

Jim O'Dell
04-19-2009, 6:59 PM
Well, the trip to Waco to pick up a new rescue from Austin got postponed, so I was faced with few choices of things to do. Too wet from the recent rains to mow, though it needs it badly. I need to put up the remaining insulation I have on hand, and start putting in the vapor barrier, also on hand, but I just wasn't in the mood to move all the junk I have stored in the future finishing room to get it started.
So, I decided to play with one of the pieces of Corian I bought off Ebay a few years ago and see if I could build a ZCI with a replaceable wood insert. I'm not finished yet, but had a great time learning what needs to be done. My piece of Corian was just enough to get 6 blanks out of. I've used 4 in trying to get it right.:rolleyes: But I'm close. I did a quick recap of Rod Peterson's article where he made one out of aluminum, and got after it. My wood insert at this point is MDF. Final ones will be Oak or some other hardwood. Might do some in Corian?? It really does mill up easily. Have to be careful when drilling, as that tends to blow out easily as the bit exits. Just have to remember to drill from the top!! :eek:
The thing I need to change is Rod's TS obviously mounts the ZCI differently than my Ridgid 3612 does. Following what he did puts my screw hole to secure it to the saw in the wood part. My next one will leave Corian in this section. Now to find a way to make a spring clip on the back edge to keep it in place like the factory plates use. If the lip was thicker, I'd try epoxying in some rare earth magnets, but it the lip is only 3/32" thick.
Three pictures to show the 4th prototype. Hopefully, only one more to go!!
116093116094116095 The last picture was supposed to show that the insert is dovetailed to keep it from lifting, but it just doesn't show the angle very well. Jim.

Jeff Willard
04-19-2009, 7:21 PM
Good idea. I have one of the old Wooddynamics inserts like that. A new insert costs me 25 cents, instead of 25 dollars:eek:.

Jim O'Dell
04-19-2009, 7:55 PM
Those are nice. I think that's the one Rod Peterson based his article on. Evidently no longer made unless someone bought the business.
My wife looked at it and said "It's what??" :rolleyes: Jim.

Bill Huber
04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Do you think the Corian will be better then Phenolic in the long run?

I know the Phenolic works well with woodworking tools and last like iron for what I have seen so far with all my Phenolic ZCI and other things.

Jim O'Dell
04-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I have no idea, Bill. Phenolic would be a good choice, maybe better. I only have one jig made with it and it is my SmartMiter sled. But this was here collecting dust in the attic, and making it where just the wood insert changes out means little wear and tear on the Corian. I just hope the Corian is tough enough to hold up. I'd hate to see it get brittle over time and shatter, but I doubt that will happen. Jim.

Eric Gustafson
04-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I made a ZCI with corian and am using it now. One thing I learned that I hadn't thought is that the stuff is brittle. I dropped mine and it broke in two! :( Fortunately, the stuff loves super glue and I fixed it easily.

Jim O'Dell
05-10-2009, 7:17 PM
Ok, multiple revisions, multiple goofs...err...educational experiences :eek:, and here it is. After seeing the unit made by Infinity, I changed my inserts from the dovetailed slide in insert to the drop in and screw down type. It's not perfect. Some of the drilled holes came out slightly off and had to be enlarged, but it is workable. 117966 (Orange one on the left is the Ridgid ZCI) I do need to find something besides the MDF to use for the inserts. I have a piece of Red Oak that I was going to resaw in half, then plane down to fit, but it is bowed more than I remember. Maybe some good (non-Borg) Baltic Birch would be best.
The Corian isn't holding the screws for the insert well at this point, but the screws are a little short. I'll need some 1/2" ones to make it secure.
It was enjoyable to do, and lots of lessons learned. I have a thread I started when I ruined my next to last blank earlier about the hex size of a Jesada bit's bearing collar I can't get tight. I cheated to make it work...put a plastic spacer in between the bearing and the chuck so the bearing had to stay in place!! :rolleyes: But it worked. Might have to find a way to attach the vacuum to the Hitachi router. Man that thing slings chips. Much worse than either of my PC routers.
Thanks for looking. Jim.

edit: Just remembered...I need to install the hex socket leveling screws.

Bill Huber
05-10-2009, 7:39 PM
That looks great and I am sure you learned a lot, that is whats fun about trying something new and different.

How thick are the inserts, could you make them out of Phenilic?

In fact I think the hole thing could be made from Phenilic, it holds screw threads very well and is really easy to work with.

All of my ZCI are made from Phenilic and they last forever, I had one in the old saw that was still singing after a year, I guess I could have filed it out a little just didn't.

Jim O'Dell
05-10-2009, 9:14 PM
Bill, the Corian I used is 1/2" thick. I route a place out all the way through that a blade and even a dado will not even contact. Then route the space for the insert about 1/4" deep from the top side. I have to rabbit out the underside all the way around to sit on the ledge in the throat on the saw. Then drill all the holes to hold it down, and the finger hole. I'm sure phenolic would work great. Heck, hard wood would work. I just had this sitting around. Jim.