PDA

View Full Version : Old three wheel cast iron band saw

Thomas murphy
04-19-2009, 5:51 PM
I came across this strange looking bandsaw today. The wheels are all solid cast iron and there are three of them. Thinking of buying this saw but it is a few hours drive from here. Has anybody seen anything like this wondering wheter it would worthwhile to take the trip.

Thomas murphy
04-19-2009, 5:56 PM

Bill Houghton
04-19-2009, 6:51 PM
I can make out part of a maker name cast into the wheel covers. If you could find out what that maker name is, and if it's old (American) iron, as opposed to more recent Taiwanese origin, you can get an idea of the manufacturer's reputation on www.owwm.com.

The plastic knobs and ceramic-looking blade guides incline me to think that it's Taiwanese, but some or all of that could be stuff fitted later.

I've never owned one - others have commented that three-wheel saws are often harder on blades because the blade has to turn in a tighter radius.

Is it worth it? A lot depends on how slim the pickings are where you are, and whether this saw offers something unique in cutting width or height for its price relative to what you can get otherwise.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Geeze, that guide system screams "CHEAP". I'd pass. You can find some great deals great machines right now, no need to go with a maybe. Oh, plus it's a three wheeler on a stand. High center of gravity at the very least, but looks a little rickety to me.

Bob Aquino
04-20-2009, 7:43 AM
There is no listing for Sherwood over at the OWWM mothership, though a google search on Sherwood bandsaw did come up with a couple of Austrailian references. I'm guessing that saw is either Aussie or British. Looking at one photo, it looks like there is something funky with how the motor is plugged into a box on the leg as if they needed to make a wiring conversion.

I don't think anything screams cheap on it. That style of guide is used on some large older saws like Deltas and Powermatics. What I would be more concerned about is the 3 wheel design. They are notorious for alignment issues. Instead of getting two wheels into one plane, now you have to do three. That and they can put more of a bend on a blade. That particular saw is definately an oddball, I'm not so sure I would jump on it with all the 14" machines showing up used lately.

Curt Harms
04-20-2009, 8:06 AM
reminds me a little of this: http://www.falbergsawz.com/portable/titan.html.