PDA

View Full Version : Dallas area BBQ

Steve Jenkins
08-01-2004, 3:44 PM
I just thought that I better post an official notice of our BBQ here in Dallas on Oct. 23-24. Anyone that wants to come by on Friday is welcome and Sunday also. It seems in years past though that it has just been a Sat. event. Last year thanks to Ace Karner and a friend of his it went until the wee hours of Sun. morning with great stories and lotsa laughter.

Feel free to bring your lathe. That seems to be a common occurance at all the various BBQs. For those that are interested I have some festool stuff we can play with and I can show some of the advantages of a sliding table saw for those that haven't seen one up close.

For those that were here last year I am in the process of contacting Stephen Stokes' brother about doing another pig. They smoked/roasted a whole pig. It was the absolute best pulled pork I've ever eaten and many said the same thing.

It looks like we will have some travelers again this year. Sophie and Becky are talking about coming down again, only driving this time. It looks like the Dustmaker Mike will make it also. Dennis Peacock I hope you make it along with whomever you can drag along.
More details will will be forthcoming but just wanted to get the invite out there for everyone. Hope to see you then. Steve

Dennis Peacock
08-01-2004, 3:47 PM
I just thought that I better post an official notice of our BBQ here in Dallas on Oct. 23-24. Anyone that wants to come by on Friday is welcome and Sunday also. It seems in years past though that it has just been a Sat. event. Last year thanks to Ace Karner and a friend of his it went until the wee hours of Sun. morning with great stories and lotsa laughter.

It looks like we will have some travelers again this year. Sophie and Becky are talking about coming down again, only driving this time. It looks like the Dustmaker Mike will make it also. Dennis Peacock I hope you make it along with whomever you can drag along.
Steve

Steve,

I'm puttin' you on the list and calendar. I'll have to double-check my work calendar, but as far as I know....I'll be there Friday afternoon. What about local hotels...since I'll need a place to stay.!!! ;)

Greg Heppeard
08-01-2004, 4:13 PM
Need details on places to stay too....looks like I can get the kitchen pass again.

Steve King
08-01-2004, 6:48 PM
Steve,
Hope I will be up for the challenge to drive 15 miles:D I will meet with the Doc on the 8th. and go from their:confused: Last year I had a great time watching Ace get into turning :D
Steve

Steve Jenkins
08-01-2004, 6:53 PM
[QUOTE=Steve King]Steve,
Hope I will be up for the challenge to drive 15 miles:D I will meet with the Doc on the 8th. and go from their:confused:

Tell you what Steve if you can't sit up or drive I can pick you up in my van. We'll just strap you to a long board and bring you here laying flat then stand you in a corner where you'll have a good view. Anything for a friend. Steve

Steve King
08-01-2004, 7:32 PM
Steve,
I will accept; only if the board is Walnut Burl that is 8/4;) And I can keep it :D
Steve ;)

Mike Mastin
08-01-2004, 9:25 PM
My Dad always said that some people would gripe, even if you hung them with a new rope :-)

Would Maple burl 8/4 work Steve? orry, but I can not allow you to keep it though :-)

Terry Hatfield
08-01-2004, 9:40 PM
Steve,

Mark down one more Arkie!!!! That is if Mr. Peacock will let me ride with him and I survive our Bbq in September. :D

Terry

Steve King
08-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Mike,
Maybe I’m setting my sites too high; how about Mesquite?
Steve

:D

Kevin Swindle
08-02-2004, 7:46 AM
Steve, I'm marking my calendar now. Had a great time last year. Let me know if you need help straightening up the shop or anything and I will be happy to help out.

Kevin

Kelly C. Hanna
08-02-2004, 8:05 AM
I never pass up a BBQ...especially when it's in the fall and very close to my house! I think we will have had enough time to recover from Terry's BBQ by then...http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Mike Mastin
08-02-2004, 9:07 AM
Steve,

To add some enticement to attend Curly Woods will be providing 20 bf of 4/4 Curly White Oak as a door prize. Who knows, I might sweeten this with another small stack of figured wood before the BBQ :-)

Steve Jenkins
08-02-2004, 9:16 AM
Steve,

To add some enticement to attend Curly Woods will be providing 20 bf of 4/4 Curly White Oak as a door prize. Who knows, I might sweeten this with another small stack of figured wood before the BBQ :-)

Thanks Mike, thats very generous of you.
I think that I should pre-approve a couple samples just to make sure that they will look good in a finished piece. No? oh well I tried.
Steve

Waymon Campbell
08-02-2004, 7:06 PM
Steve - I plan on attending as well. Having just gotten back home to Baytown after driving from the Five Barns Picnic, the 4 hr drive to Dallas will seem like a trip to the local supermarket :D :eek: :eek: . Looking forward to meeting some of my "Northern" Texas neighbors. :)

Chris Padilla
08-02-2004, 7:19 PM
Mike,
Maybe I’m setting my sites too high; how about Mesquite?
Steve

:D
You'll be lucky to find Mesquite greater than 4 or 5 feet long! :D

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2004, 8:16 PM
Steve,

I'll be the FIRST to make it in the door and claim MY PRIZE!!!! :)

Shoot....this ol' boy needs all the help he can get.!! ;)

Betsy Yocum
08-02-2004, 8:57 PM
Wow - woodworking AND food - this forum knows how to do it right!:D

I'm a relative newby to the area - would be good to meet some folks of like interest.

Count me in!!:)

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2004, 9:40 PM
Wow - woodworking AND food - this forum knows how to do it right!:D

I'm a relative newby to the area - would be good to meet some folks of like interest.

Count me in!!:)

Betsy....

Once you go to one of these....you're "hooked" for life.!!! :D

Try and visit the Central States BBQ in Sprindgale, AR sometime. You will like it as well...and you can even see how a woodworking shop like Terry's look like a "clean hospital room".!!! :eek: :D

Steve King
08-03-2004, 12:03 AM
In the last 3 weeks I have had two cortisone injections in my lower back. I went to the chiropractor today. He told me he wished he had a traction bench that would help with the compressed disk in my lower back.
Well of course, my wheels started turning. (I checked it out with the Doc.) So, I cut some ¾” dowels to fit under my arm pits. To attach the chain to the tool belt, I ran the belt through the inside of two turnbuckles. I screwed hooks into dowels that fit into the vice.
Now the scary part :eek: ask the wife to start unscrewing the vice. After several turns, it started to take the pressure off my lower back. I started getting the feeling back in my toes of my left foot.
Being the comic that see is:D took the picture and walked out of the shop and closed the door.
Hope she comes back.:D

Herb Blair
08-03-2004, 6:59 AM
Steve,
I noticed a set of pasture pool clubs in the background of your pic. I'm sure that you don't have time to play, so they must be your wife's.
Looking forward to the BBQ. If anyone's interested, I could bring a big ole pot of TEXAS chili.

Jim Becker
08-03-2004, 9:19 AM
"The rack" lives! Nice creative use for a workbench, Steve! Now, if we all could find "medical" uses for various tools, getting puchase permission would be so much easier...and maybe tax-free if you could make them qualify for health care reimbursment funds...hee hee :D

Steve Jenkins
08-03-2004, 9:43 AM
Herb, the pot of chile sounds like a great idea. We, will start keeping track of who is bringing wwhat down the road a bit.
Betsy, Welcome, The BBQ's are lot's of fun. If you are over in this neck of the woods stop in anytime. I am just down the road from Austin Hardwoods. They are one of the few lumber yards open on Sat. and have a BIG selection of exotics. Steve

Dan Gill
08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm new to the forum, Steve. Where in Dallas are you located?

Steve Jenkins
08-03-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm new to the forum, Steve. Where in Dallas are you located?
My address is Furniture Crafters
11455 Newkirk St. #1402
Dallas 75229
Newkirk St. runs north from Royal lane about 1/2 mile west of I35E. That puts me real close the the intersedction of I35 and 635.
steve

Todd Burch
08-03-2004, 11:28 AM
I'll make it to the BBQ! Make Mastin - is your store open on Saturday?

Mike Mastin
08-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Yes Todd we are open from 9AM-2PM on Saturdays. I rarely even close for holidays unless my wife threatens me severely :-)

James Carmichael
08-03-2004, 11:38 AM
You'll be lucky to find Mesquite greater than 4 or 5 feet long! :D

We'll need it to smoke the meat with, anyway.

James Carmichael
08-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Herb, the pot of chile sounds like a great idea. We, will start keeping track of who is bringing wwhat down the road a bit.
Betsy, Welcome, The BBQ's are lot's of fun. If you are over in this neck of the woods stop in anytime. I am just down the road from Austin Hardwoods. They are one of the few lumber yards open on Sat. and have a BIG selection of exotics. Steve

Ditto the chili, I make a pretty mean pot myself, as well as my locally famous spicy pico de gallo ("locally" being about a 3 block radius from my house :D ).

My office is about 10 minutes away from Austin HW.

Waymon Campbell
08-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Mike Mastin - is your store open on Saturday?

Todd - Better bring your truck and your willpower. It was all I could do to keep from piling my truck full of Mike's gorgeous inventory when I was there recently.

Betsy Yocum
08-03-2004, 1:17 PM
I'll bring my world famous chocolate chip cookies and almost equally famous peanut butter fudge. I'm almost scared to ask how many people I should bake for:eek: .

Steve - what are your shop hours.

I've never been to Austin Hardwood - or Mike's place. So maybe I'll make a day of it after I get back from my woodworking vacation which starts in exactly 5 days - not that I'm counting!:rolleyes:

Steve Jenkins
08-03-2004, 1:50 PM
I'm here from 6am-6pm at least. Steve

James Carmichael
08-03-2004, 3:10 PM
I'll bring my world famous chocolate chip cookies and almost equally famous peanut butter fudge. I'm almost scared to ask how many people I should bake for:eek: .

Steve - what are your shop hours.

I've never been to Austin Hardwood - or Mike's place. So maybe I'll make a day of it after I get back from my woodworking vacation which starts in exactly 5 days - not that I'm counting!:rolleyes:

Hi Betsy, great to see another Cowtowner out here, welcome!

Mike Tubbs
08-03-2004, 7:17 PM
Sounds like ya' ll are trying to get me out of "retirement"

Mike Tubbs
08-03-2004, 7:19 PM
By the way, Steve King was always a little strange.(Miller Lite will fix your back)

Mike Mastin
08-03-2004, 7:22 PM
It's about time that you crawled out of that cave :D

Steve Jenkins
08-03-2004, 7:31 PM
Sounds like ya' ll are trying to get me out of "retirement"

I would hope so. Been too long. Steve

Betsy Yocum
08-03-2004, 9:08 PM
Hi Betsy, great to see another Cowtowner out here, welcome!
Thanks for the welcome James. I look forward to meeting you and all the other folks at the BBQ. :)

Steve King
08-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Mike,
So, Val didn't unplug your computer after all :D
When are you coming to Plano?
Good to here from you!
Steve
P.S.
Coors Light please :cool:

Chad Young
08-04-2004, 1:35 PM
Looking forward to the BBQ and meeting everyone. Once again Steve thanks for the short notice shop tour. I really enjoyed it.

Steve Jenkins
08-05-2004, 11:29 AM
I've thought of a couple more things related to the BBQ. We always have a show and tell table but haven't ever mentioned it. So now it's mentioned. I think that the tool swap-sale like they had at Five Barnes' is a good idea too. Anything else that anyone can think of toss the idea out there and we'll see how it's received. Steve

scott bonder
08-05-2004, 4:26 PM
sorry i am going to miss it. Anybody coming to the IWF in Atlanta?

Mike Mastin
08-05-2004, 6:23 PM
I was thinking about you just the other day :-) I was going to try to make Atlanta for the IWF again, but just can't swing it. I am heading to the Pacific Northwest for wood finding expedition at the end of this month. Otherwise I would have been in Atlanta.
Hope all is well with your family and maybe you we see me and maybe I can get Steve Jenkins to go again in 2006 :-)

Steve Jenkins
08-05-2004, 7:06 PM
Scott I wish i could make it but it just can't happen this year. Like Mike said maybe next year we can both get down there again. I have withdrawls when I miss the show. Been going since 1982 when it was in Louisville. Steve

Tom Scott
08-06-2004, 2:53 AM
I hope to make it this year. Seems like there has always been something that unexpectedly came up previous years.
I hope ya'll don't mind a neanderthal mingling amongst ya...I'll try not drag my knuckles too much.

Tom

Steve Jenkins
08-06-2004, 5:45 AM
I hope ya'll don't mind a neanderthal mingling amongst ya...I'll try not drag my knuckles too much.

Tom[/QUOTE]

I hope you can make it Tom. I can even put down some plywood on the floor so you're not dragging on the concrete. :>) Steve

Mike Mastin
08-06-2004, 8:29 AM
I hope to make it this year. Seems like there has always been something that unexpectedly came up previous years.

Tom Tom,

How about teaching those of us that are interested, how to sharpen our plane blades and adjust their planes for proper working order! I have a trio of L-N planes that have never seen a Scary Sharp set up or been properly set up since I got the bug to try out these human powered tools. I would love some hands on tutoring for these types of tools:D

Tom Scott
08-06-2004, 9:05 AM
Mike,
Three L-N's not being used? That's down-right criminal!
Sure, I can bring my stones and give pointers on sharpening and plane tune-up. I might even convert a few of you down the slippery slope that is hand tools.
Also, if Steve has a bench with a vice, maybe I can go through the basics of hand cut dovetails if anyone is interested.

Tom

Steve Jenkins
08-06-2004, 9:09 AM
Tom, I do have a bench with vice and lotsa wood. I also have a Tormek. If you want we can put a crank on it. I'm also interested in the sharpening and set-up as well as seeing a demo on handcut dovetails. Steve

Tom Scott
08-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Cool! Sounds like a plan then. If you got the wood, I'll bring some extra saws and stuff for others to give it a try.

Tom

James Carmichael
08-06-2004, 4:03 PM
That sounds great, a little "Neander" meet at the BBQ, I'd love to see a hand-cut dovetail demo. Maybe we could each bring our favorite or most unique hand tools, try each other's out, and compare sharpening techniques.

Dennis Peacock
08-06-2004, 7:44 PM
Well....I was IN Dallas yesterday and flew back this morning. It was a short business trip but I did go by the new Guitar Center near Love Field and check out a few "axes" in there. I was shocked to find many prices to be higher than they are for about the same guitar here. Still no short scale basses in the store.!! :(

Had a really nice steak dinner at III Forks!! Wow...what a place THAT was.!!! :eek: :D

I was hoping to have time to call Steve and yak with him a minute while there but the business "stuff" wasn't over until 8PM and then it was all of us to dinner. Got to the hotel at 10:05PM.

I guess this could be considered a "practice run" to Dallas.??!! ;)

Steve Jenkins
08-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Sorry we couldn't connect Dennis. Maybe next time. Steve