PDA

View Full Version : Azek for shop jigs?

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-19-2009, 5:41 PM
I have a nice pile of Azek scraps for a recent porch remodel. Has anyone used it for making shop jigs? I figure it would be nice for aux. ts fence, drill press and bandsaw fences, etc. The stuff expands and contracts like crazy. Was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with it.

Stephen Edwards
04-19-2009, 6:29 PM
I have a nice pile of Azak scraps for a recent porch remodel. Has anyone used it for making shop jigs? I figure it would be nice for aux. ts fence, drill press and bandsaw fences, etc. The stuff expands and contracts like crazy. Was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with it.

I'm not familiar with Azak but I would prefer stable material for aux. fences and jigs.

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-19-2009, 6:33 PM
When I say it expands like crazy, I mean 1/8" over 20 feet. I'm not sure if it will expand much over a 3 ft. length. It's flat as all hell and machines like butter.

Jason White
04-19-2009, 9:03 PM
Azek is great for jigs, fences, etc. Have been residing and trimming out everything on my own house with Azek.

FYI -- pocket screws work especially well with it. You should also learn about "Bond & Fill" if you haven't already. Sets up in minutes and has a very high PSI strength.

Jason

I have a nice pile of Azek scraps for a recent porch remodel. Has anyone used it for making shop jigs? I figure it would be nice for aux. ts fence, drill press and bandsaw fences, etc. The stuff expands and contracts like crazy. Was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with it.

Jim Becker
04-19-2009, 9:09 PM
I would not use it for jigs...I've seen the effect of its expansion/contraction on a wall ledge off our addition and I'm not pleased with it. It's also pretty "floppy"...

Ron Bontz
04-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Ok I give up. What is it?:)

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-20-2009, 7:12 AM
http://www.azek.com/

Jason White
04-20-2009, 7:14 AM
It expands when it gets hot outside. An experienced installer will allow for an expansion joint for long runs.

You won't see any real expansion for small shop jigs.

Jason

I would not use it for jigs...I've seen the effect of its expansion/contraction on a wall ledge off our addition and I'm not pleased with it. It's also pretty "floppy"...