PDA

View Full Version : Shelves in playroom

scott gunnell
04-19-2009, 5:09 PM
Just completed some freestanding shelves for the playroom. We eliminated 6 big Rubbermaid bins. The LOML picked out the baskets and dyed the colors. I had MY way with the design.

4 hours to design and draw it up, 2 hours to cut out the pieces, 1 1/2 days for joinery and assembly, and 2 hours per coat of primer and paint (3 coats). MDF throughout with pocket screw and biscuit joinery. Most challenging part was determining assembly step in order to prevent blocking myself out from access for the next set of pieces.

From the looks of the floor, I need to start making another one.

My first project posting to this forum.

John Thompson
04-19-2009, 6:03 PM
Nice job.. yep... even if you build more, you will need more eventually. A vicious cycle known as "toy over-run" if I remember correctly. :)

Sarge..

Jacob Dahn
04-20-2009, 4:40 PM
Where did you happen to find the wicker baskets? I am looking to build something very similar to that for my 2 year old.

Thanks,

Jake

Jim Becker
04-20-2009, 9:34 PM
Very kewel design! Nice!

Mike Package
04-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Very cool!

Prashun Patel
04-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Wonderful and whimsical design.
Kudos!!!

scott gunnell
04-21-2009, 8:16 PM
Thanks for the nice comments all.

Jake, the LOML purchased the baskets at Target. They came in two different sets that nest together when empty. The fabric covers came with them. I can send you my drawings in PDF form if you would like them (they were drawn in AutoCAD). Good luck.

Jeremy Polk
04-21-2009, 8:18 PM
Looks great, thanks for sharing.

JP

John Keeton
04-22-2009, 7:50 AM
Scott, welcome to the creek! Neat design. Often an attempt at this type of thing ends up looking out of balance - this one came out very well!

I can imagine that the glueup was a challenge. Working from the inside out is probably the only way to get this puzzle complete. And, one piece too long/short kind of messes with the plan;)

Good job!

mike mcilroy
04-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Nice job. One of the best parts of making shelves is to be able to get more stuff so you have to make more shelves to get more stuff..