PDA

View Full Version : Maple HF Rough Outs

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2009, 3:14 PM
Figured that since weekends are usually pretty slow – I would post my latest HF rough outs. The southwest style HF is fairly good size and a little over 1” thick so I should have plenty of wood available to create its final form once it is dry. Lots of nice features in this chunk of maple – bark, knots, and lots of curl.

I started the SW HF on Friday and finished it today. On those times when I don’t finish a turning in one sitting - I loosely wrap a plastic grocery bag around the turning to prevent rapid water loss. Works great but even when left just overnight it is real easy for mold to show up!

116063 116064 116065 116066

Also, here is my attempt at turning an end-grain vase. Maple, 10 ½” tall x 4 Ό” wide. It just came out of the DNA bath, so it is a little darker in color than normal.

As always, any and all comments are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2009, 3:43 PM
Great looking pieces Steve. Those ought to finish out right nicely. I had a chance to do some turning today. I have the remaining 7 cherry salad bowls roughed and in the DNA. Will wrap in brown grocery sack next Friday or so.

Kirk Miller
04-19-2009, 3:56 PM
How long does everyone let their Roughs soak in DNA? I read somewhere that overnight is good enough, then I read where Bernie had his Cherry salad bowls in DNA and would be taking them out next Friday. Should I be leaving my Roughs in DNA longer?

Kirk Miller
04-19-2009, 4:01 PM
I didn't mean to Hijack the thread I lost touch with reality for a second.

mike fuson
04-19-2009, 4:12 PM
Looks like they will be good ones Steve.

24 hours Kirk.

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2009, 4:13 PM
Kirk - depending on how big & thick the turning is - I usually let it soak for at least 6 hours but usually for overnight as a minimum. When I first started using DNA I soaked the bowls for about 2 hours and most of them survived. Found that wasn't enough time when it came to hollow forms. You will have to experiment to find what works best for you.

Chris Rae
04-19-2009, 6:44 PM
The southwest one looks like a really nice piece of wood, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. They both look great so far.

PS: I just noticed the tool rest in your pics, would you mind telling me where you got it?
Chris

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2009, 7:07 PM
Chris - thanks for the kind words! I have a couple of tool rests - as well as my hollowing systems from Randy Privett. I love them and couldn't imagine anything better!

Check out Randy's work here: http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page5.html

Chris Rae
04-19-2009, 9:50 PM
Thanks Steve!

Rick Prosser
04-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Hmmm....hollow forms.....they are on my to do list.

Looks good Steve!

For DNA soaking, I go 24 hours, or until I remember to remove them :p
It does not seem to hurt to leave them in for days....or a week :o

Steve Mawson
04-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Steve that maple is just beautiful. Great piece of wood and the SW form is one of my top 10 all time favorites. Looking forward to the final finish.

Jarrod McGehee
04-20-2009, 1:28 AM
awesome work Steve. You rock. and the HF is coming along nicely.