PDA

View Full Version : Remote switch for 1642

Tony Kahn
04-19-2009, 2:57 PM
I have a jet 1642 EVS and am wanting to make a remote on off switch, (not worried about speed knob). I find myself on the backside of lathe alot when working on larger hollow forms, as it is i either have to walk around or quite against better judgement reach directly over the piece. Has anyone made one and how did you do it?

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2009, 3:20 PM
Tony - I have the same lathe and ended up making my own switch for the same safety reasons you listed. I used a regular light switch and a small junction box with a rare earth magnet on the back so I can locate the switch anywhere on the lathe. If you are comfortable with wiring - it is not a hard mod to make and it works great!

I've had a few requests on this before - so put together a PDF to try and make things easier for folks. If you are interested - send me your email in a PM and I will forward it.

Ryan Baker
04-20-2009, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing that either, as I will probably get around to building a remote switch for my Jet one of these days. You should put that up in the Articles section with your others Steve.