PDA

View Full Version : Need to know value of older Delta Shaper

Paul Greathouse
04-19-2009, 1:28 PM
I called about an ad in my local newspaper classified section for a 15 year old Delta 3hp 220V Shaper. I haven't seen any of these older American made Delta shapers for sell so I have no idea what they are worth. I would like to find out the approximate value of this machine before going to look at it this afternoon when I get off work.

Here is what I know so far:
About 15 years old and American made.
The shaper has been in a small cabinet shop all its life, owner is retiring and selling some of his equipment.
He claims it is in "like new" shape and it looks "like new", he also claims all the bearings are tight and there are no problems.
There are 4 sets of Ogee Raised Panel Cutters that will go with it, so I assume that it was mostly used for Panel Raising.
The asking price is $900.
He claims the cutters were worth about $80 each when new.
I don't know the model number but I am assuming that Delta wouldn't have had too many different 3 hp models back then.

Going on the assumption that he is being perfectly honest with me, what would you think the approximate value would be?
Is there anything else I need to know about a Delta shaper this age?

David DeCristoforo
04-19-2009, 1:58 PM
Assuming that the information you have been given is accurate, $900 would be a fair price. I am curious about the "sets" of raised panel cutters. Raised panel cutters are usually not sold in "sets" unless the "set" includes cope and pattern cutters. If he is talking about 4 sets of cutters that include a raised panel cutter plus a cope and pattern set, that would be a big plus. But the machine alone would be a decent buy.

Paul Greathouse
04-19-2009, 3:27 PM
David

I accidently typed "sets", its actually 4 raised panel cutters. He said he bought the last two from Grizzly. Sounds like it was a dedicated panel raising machine, Thats pretty much what I would use it for.

Do you feel that I would be better off with this machine or with a brand new 3hp Grizzly for about the same price?

David DeCristoforo
04-19-2009, 3:31 PM
I "take the 5th" on any questions regarding Grizzly. But personally, I would buy the Delta, again presuming that the sellers is fairly representing the machine's condition.

BTW, Do you know what spindle sizes are included? The 1/2" and 3/4" were "standard". But there was also a 1" spindle available for those shapers as well as a router collet. The newer machines have a 1 1/4" spindle option also. It would be interesting to know which ones you will get with this shaper. The router collet and larger spindles were/are not cheap!

Paul Greathouse
04-19-2009, 3:56 PM
I was so surprised to see a machine of this caliber for sale in my area that I forgot to ask spindle size. I will find out when I look at it. For some reason, there are hardy ever any used stationary woodworking machines for sale in my general area.

Paul Greathouse
04-19-2009, 7:28 PM
Shameless bump to get a few more responses from the afternoon and evening crowd. I respect David's response but I would like to hear from a few more that may be familiar with these older Delta shapers.

If $900 is a fair price as David has said, how much less can I get away with offering him without insulting him?

David DeCristoforo
04-19-2009, 7:40 PM
It's Sunday, dude... there is no "afternoon and evening crowd".

Chip Lindley
04-19-2009, 7:53 PM
Considering the price of a new Delta 3hp shaper of the same (or lesser) quality today, this sounds like a decent *local* opportunity! As has been mentioned, it would be essential to know what spindles are included AND to make sure this is a 230V single-phase machine.

There is very little to go wrong with a shaper! If the motor runs, the bearings are smooth and tight, and the spindle raises/lowers freely, you are probably good to go for the remainder of your *@ home* woodworking career! Unless $900 is FIRM, offer $700 and maybe he will take $800!! YaNeverKnow!

Peter Quinn
04-19-2009, 9:40 PM
I have a delta shaper, same size, similar vintage. I bought it used from a guy that fired it up once, got a nasty kick back, put it in a corner for 15 years. i paid $700 a few years back for a 3HP 3/4" spindle. It still had some cosmoline on the tables and parts, and still had the plastic wrapping on the name plates to protect during shipping. Truly looked like a new although dusty machine. I see them for sale regularly with an asking price any where from $1000-$1800 in my area.

Keep in mind Delta has declared these tool obsolete, they no longer stock parts for them, so if you need any parts good luck. Luckily, there is generally little to go wrong. Nice shaper, solid design.

As to the Grizzly cutters, I too plead the fifth. I will say that they are green.

Karl Brogger
04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
I've got an older, (I'm guessing early 80's) Rockwell 2hp shaper with a 1" spindle. Bought it last year for about $400 at an auction. Didn't come with any cutters or a fence.

If you have them in your area, local online auctions have been a real winner for me. There are alot of cabinet shops going belly up and there is a surplus of used equipment around here.

I too take the 5th for Grizzly.:D

Paul Greathouse
04-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, I called the guy this afternoon and told him I was going to wait until tomorrow to look at it. He's retired and I'm off tomorrow, plus I was in my 2 door tahoe today so I wouldn't have wanted to try to fit the shaper in there. The fact that he's in a small town 30 miles west of here is another reason why I didn't feel like going this afternoon. I've been up since 3:30am this morning.

Looks like there may not be much room to negociate on the price but I will try anyway. Its going to have to be in super shape for me to pay the asking price, I'm just stubborn that way. I don't have to have a shaper right now but if it looks like the right deal I may go for it. I'll let you all know if I do get it, Pictures included of course.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Paul, I just sold one this last fall for that range of price. Mine did not include and cutters, Griz or otherwise;), but i did throw in a new bearing cartrige. Probably similar value. As for parts, I wouldn't worry too much, not really much to go wrong in one of these. I found a source for the bearing a while back that stocked most of the things anyhow. Sounds like a fair price to me.