PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-785x planer

John Even
04-19-2009, 11:50 AM
I bought a Delta 22-785x planer used and the knife setting attachment is not with it. Should I order one from Delta or is there another way to set new knifes in planer.
Thanks for your help
John

David Winer
04-19-2009, 4:04 PM
I bought a Delta 22-785x planer used and the knife setting attachment is not with it. Should I order one from Delta or is there another way to set new knifes in planer.
Thanks for your help
John
John, I had a hard time learning how to set my planer knives (Powermatic 100). I had no guidance of any kind and had to figure it out. Thinking about the future and not wanting to have to figure it all out again, I wrote up a set of notes with some photos in Microsoft Word. I would be happy to send that file to you if you send me your e-mail address.

Of course the procedure might be different for your Delta, but at least the file might have some tidbit worth looking at.

Frederick Rowe
04-19-2009, 4:56 PM
John - You have a couple of options here. The Delta gauge will work fine and may be the least expensive. There is the Planer Pal which runs about $100 which uses magnets to set the knife to the preset height (important note-if you buy these, set the planer pals to the knife height before you remove the knifes. This gives you the correct height when you reinstall them). Lastly, there are a variety of shop made jigs using a dial indicator.

Below are photos of the planer pals and a home made type.

If you aren't completely clear on how to set your planer knives, check this video from Bob Vaughan. Bob covers every aspect of setting planer knifes.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-986589700074242027&q=bob+vaughn&hl=en