PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 12" saw blades?

Roger Benton
04-19-2009, 10:01 AM
I need a dedicated rip, a dedicated crosscut, and a thin kerf combo blade-
1" arbor, 12 diameter.
Besides super clean cuts, I need blades that will stand up to being re-sharpened every few weeks.
Any opinions on brands and where to shop?

Thanks-

-Roger

Steve Rozmiarek
04-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Roger, of the blades that I've used, Forrest had the most carbide, and I think they would hold up well to many sharpenings. They are also good blades to start with. I also have a full set of Leitz made, sold by Felder blades that work pretty well too, and would do what you need. You'd have to find a Leitz dealer to order from. This is a pretty hot subject here, you will get more posts...

Ron Bontz
04-19-2009, 1:46 PM
Well I can't speak for others but I have actually had very good luck with Delta blades, full kerf. I especially like Delta's 50 tooth combo. blade. (10") :)I have several that have been resharpened several times and continue to work great. I suspect it at least partially depends on the person doing the sharpening. Best of luck.

Andrew Joiner
04-19-2009, 2:36 PM
Wow, re-sharpened every few weeks. What are you cutting?

Thad Nickoley
04-19-2009, 2:43 PM
With that amount of sharpening might it be better to go with some kind of disposable blade? just a thought, I have never had to go with that much sharpening.

Robert Payne
04-19-2009, 2:53 PM
I have had very good performance from a 12" Freud 96-tooth Ultimate Cut-Off blade (LU85R012) on my CMS. Plenty of carbide and coating lessens drag. Very good clean cutting blade. I use a Forrest Woodworker II on my 10" cabinet saw, also a premier blade that can be resharpened several times.

Bob Aquino
04-19-2009, 6:46 PM
Roger
I am currently using an Amana Age 12" 48 tooth carbide blade on my table saw. Its very similar to a 12" ww2 that I had that had a kickback and got damaged. The amana was around 40 bucks and cuts as well as the ww2 for about a third of the price. Its a German made blade and is a steal. You can get it from the same place I did http://woodworkingparts.com/parts/sawblade/12sawblade.html

I also picked up a 12" blade for my miter saw from Amazon, its a Hitach 90 tooth blade that is actually made in France. Current price is 35 bucks with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-726101-12-Inch-90-tooth-Crosscutting/dp/B0006HKB42 It does very well in my PC 12" miter saw.

I would recommend both, especially at the current pricing.

Roger Benton
04-19-2009, 8:15 PM
the reason for the frequency of sharpening is that the machines in my communal shop are used by an average of 10 people per day- the table saw is running more often than not. We have a sharpening service that picks up the blades about every 2 weeks, but on any given day it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the blade you select is going to be sharp or not. Right now, our "best" rip blade is warped, and our "best" crosscut blade os shy a few teeth. So my intentions behind this request for advice were to procure a new set of blades for the shop, and a set for myself.

does forrest make 1" arbor blades?

Myk Rian
04-19-2009, 8:50 PM
I would hold a safety, and proper work practices meeting for all the people using the tools. Sounds like some people don't know how to properly use the machines. Just doing that would cut down on damage.

Bruce Wrenn
04-19-2009, 9:25 PM
the reason for the frequency of sharpening is that the machines in my communal shop are used by an average of 10 people per day- the table saw is running more often than not. We have a sharpening service that picks up the blades about every 2 weeks, but on any given day it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the blade you select is going to be sharp or not. Right now, our "best" rip blade is warped, and our "best" crosscut blade os shy a few teeth. So my intentions behind this request for advice were to procure a new set of blades for the shop, and a set for myself.

does forrest make 1" arbor blades?Your sharpening service should be able to fix your blades. If not go to Dynamic Saw (www.dynamicsaw.com) in Buffalo, as they can. Do a search for "excesstooling" here and on other forums. That will get you to Mike Jackson over at Leitz. He can hook you up with the right blades. Mondays he is busy processing his stock from Germany, so he usually isn't available that day. Most sharpening services can machine the arbor hole out to 1", but all of my 12" blades came with a 1" arbor hole.

Roger Benton
04-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Roger
I am currently using an Amana Age 12" 48 tooth carbide blade on my table saw. Its very similar to a 12" ww2 that I had that had a kickback and got damaged. The amana was around 40 bucks and cuts as well as the ww2 for about a third of the price. Its a German made blade and is a steal. You can get it from the same place I did http://woodworkingparts.com/parts/sawblade/12sawblade.html

I also picked up a 12" blade for my miter saw from Amazon, its a Hitach 90 tooth blade that is actually made in France. Current price is 35 bucks with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-726101-12-Inch-90-tooth-Crosscutting/dp/B0006HKB42 It does very well in my PC 12" miter saw.

I would recommend both, especially at the current pricing.

Bob, I just placed and order from woodworkingparts for a couple amana blades. Took a while but I found exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the reference.

Frank Drew
04-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Roger,

Do you absolutely have to run 12" blades on the saw? Do any of the users really need to cut 16/4 stock or stacked goods on a regular basis?

Roger Benton
04-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Bruce, thanks for that reference. I'll try to track down Mike Jackson by mid week.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Roger, Forrest makes 1" arbor blades. In fact, they will build whatever you want. I called them with a request for a 30mm arbor blade, with two pin holes around the arbor hole. The guy I talked to said sure we can make them, in fact, I have one on the shelf! Great blade too.

Dave Cav
04-20-2009, 2:16 AM
First, I agree that Amana and AGE blades are a great deal. Very sharp, lots of carbide, good price. They are all I buy any more.

Second, if you are going through blades like that, you need to kick some of the people out of your shop. It sounds like they are cutting up old pallets or something like that. I teach high school shop and we have one table saw, a seven or eight year old Unisaw. It's going all day long- we have over 120 students using it. Mostly we cut alder, usually 5/4, occasionally 8/4, and the odd piece of pine. We also have a 12" Bosch SCMS. The saws get used a LOT. All I ever do is take the blades out whenever I remember to, clean the pitch off them with oven cleaner, and put them back in. I have to get maybe one blade a year sharpened.

Bob Aquino
04-20-2009, 7:10 AM
Bob, I just placed and order from woodworkingparts for a couple amana blades. Took a while but I found exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the reference.

Very cool. I was looking there and he only had one of the 48 tooth blades left and I did consider getting it as a backup. They also have some good prices on the crosscut and fine cut blades and their service was good the time I ordered.

If you need a miter saw blade, the Hitach I mentioned off Amazon is a steal especially with the free shipping thrown in. They also have some 60 tooth versions that are probably well worth trying. I did quite a bit of research not that long ago when I put my 12" saw into service and orignally bought the WW2 for about 112 on sale. Had I known then, I would have just gone to the Amana blades. The German made Leitz blades also look to be pretty good for the money.

Roger Benton
04-20-2009, 8:45 AM
ooohhh believe me- if I was the guy in charge of kicking people out of our shop, I'd be icing down my foot right now.
It's a member based system, on the one hand there are the people who've been around a while who know how to let the machines live and then there's the new people just learning the craft, and the students, and the people who are just in for a week or two to hammer out a project. It's a great place but the machines do take beating now and then. That's why I wanted my own set of blades!
Now if only I could get the students to stop running plywood through the jointer.....

Anyway, I did order a few blades, mid priced. Thanks for all the advice guys. When the day comes when I have my own shop and machines, I may or not step up to premium blades, depending on how this experience goes.