PDA

View Full Version : Workbench design question (& Sketch up ???)

Dell Moore
04-19-2009, 9:24 AM
Hello folks,

I need to make a new workbench, and saw a picture of Nicholson and Roubo designs over at Popular Woodworking. Sketch Up templates where available for download. I am leaning towards the Nicholson. Long, thin, and low, this the side vise for long boards. The only change I'll make is add a drop tray for small tools and use a quick set vise I already have for the end vise.

Now, I've never used Sketch up before, and while I've been successful at figuring out some of the program, I'm having some problems with the protractor. I am trying to figure out the angle of the table legs. I think they are 22.5 degrees, which makes sense.

Is anyone familiar with the Sketch Up program? Can you give me advice on this?

I appreciate it.

Dell

Micah Barclay
04-19-2009, 10:29 AM
I found http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/tutorials improved my self-taught skills immensely. I don't remember the protractor being covered though. The help function is a pretty useful, and Google Groups community, I'm sure someone in there has already explained how to accomplish what you're looking for. http://groups.google.com/group/SketchUp

Dell Moore
04-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks Micah!

I'll check that out. Maybe someone in the Google Forum will know more. I think it may be a practice issue too.

Thanks!

Dell

Jamie Buxton
04-19-2009, 11:30 AM
So you want to measure an angle. The angle is defined by two lines that meet. You put the protractor down at the meeting point. Notice that the dot at the middle of the protractor changes color when it gets to the meeting point. Then you click the mouse once someplace on one line, and then move the mouse to the other line. The box in the lower right corner of the screen gives you the measurement.

(You can actually measure the angle between any three points on the screen. They don't have to be connected by lines, but for starters that's the easiest way to explain how the tool works.)

Rob Fargher
04-19-2009, 12:58 PM
I am trying to figure out the angle of the table legs. I think they are 22.5 degrees, which makes sense.

I was just reading Chris Schwarz's book about that bench last night. His Nicholson bench has the legs and leg vise at a 20 degree angle.

--
Cheers,
Rob

Chris Friesen
04-20-2009, 6:45 PM
I need to make a new workbench, and saw a picture of Nicholson and Roubo designs over at Popular Woodworking.

I strongly suggest reading Chris Schwarz's workbench book. Both those designs are covered, along with the rationale for various design features. I based my own off his Holtzapffel bench, which was covered in Woodworking magazine (and on the CD included with the deluxe workbench book).