PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut HF & An Excuse

BILL DONAHUE
04-19-2009, 9:09 AM
Here's a black walnut hollowed form, 9 1/2" wide X 12 1/4 high, bealle buffed and waxed with a maple finial and base with ebony stain. The shape of the finial was taken from an article in an old AAW magazine by Cindy Drozda. The next finial I do will have the widest part of it a little lower. The picture doesn't really show the beauty of the wood. Black walnut is the best looking wood that I've worked with and it turns well. The wood was purchased from turningblanks.net (Got Wood).

Haven't played with the lathe for over a month. When the pompano are migrating you have to get them. Pompano are the best tasting fish in the sea and they put up a terrific fight.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2009, 9:36 AM
Bill that is a beauty. Really like the form and finial. You are right walnut is my favorite wood to work with plus it smells great.

charlie knighton
04-19-2009, 10:01 AM
you did a good job with the black walnut, it is very nice, if you ever get a chance try mesquite

pampono are ok, personally i prefer red snapper from the keys or fall run spot from outer banks

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Bill - great looking hollow form! Very rich color to the walnut! Did a nice job on the finial - clean details and form!

Fishing in the gulf was always a lot of fun as you never knew what you would tie into!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Beautifully done Bill! I like the form, wood combination and I like the finial!

Jim Kountz
04-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Outstanding work Bill, that walnut is awesome looking!!

Dewey Torres
04-19-2009, 1:11 PM
Nice turning. Is it stable on that small foot? Good luck with the pompano...looks like you have already had some good luck!

alex carey
04-19-2009, 4:47 PM
Nice HF and nice fish. Is that a hole in the bottom of the HF?

Alex

Chris Rae
04-19-2009, 6:39 PM
Great looking HF, it is truly lovely! Nice fish too!! I went and bought some tackle, yesterday, I'm getting antsy for season to start here.

Jarrod McGehee
04-20-2009, 1:12 AM
I like that turning but I almost want those fish more!