PDA

View Full Version : Edible crab bowl.

Lionel Mercier
04-19-2009, 8:52 AM
Hello all.
Back with another project that held me for some weeks...
The birth of the project was encounter of the piece named "Tangere" on the web site of the australian turner Brendan Stemp. When I saw this I thought immediately: But this is a crab... and I plan to turn a crab.
Only a two axis turning (but I've done hot brain to dicover...)
At this time the piece is not achieved, but I 've soon a title in French: "Bol Tourteau"
I translate: Edible crab bowl.
But you'll judge, my wife is thinking about a catamaran sail boat with his two stems...but mast is missing and the sail too...
Not achieved because:
1/ not so easy to decide when you stop sanding ( and I've to still sanding in the knuckles of the beast )
2/ not achieved the foot. I don't know if have to leave the foot so or carve some legs, six theoretically, four in this case I think...I put the question to myself.
3/ I project to turn a lid with the look of a crab chest, texturing the edge and making four eyes in the front.
But I was impatient to show.
Sincerely;
Lionel

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2009, 9:40 AM
Great looking piece Lionel. It does look like a crab from the front view. Different form but I like it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Very interesting turning Lionel! I can see how this would be very confusing to figure out! I like the way it makes you think - How did he do that? Pretty cool! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

curtis rosche
04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
what are the 2 axis'? this is a cool peice

Terry Achey
04-19-2009, 9:33 PM
clearly.... this is the winged helmet worn by Mercury.

:D

Lionel Mercier
04-20-2009, 3:07 PM
Hello
@ Curtis:
I've turned it on 2 axis - first centric between front and rear of the bowl and second eccentric with the future inside of the bowl on a screw chuck to remove the wood at the bottom and then reversed to hollow the bowl itself

@ Terry:
looks like you consider the bowl upside down (normal owing to the origin of the project)
Regards, Lionel

Dave Halter
04-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Cool piece, but for some reason it reminds me of the robot on the old "Lost in Space" TV show.

Dave