PDA

View Full Version : Box Joint Jig

Mike Mortenson
08-01-2004, 2:28 PM
I am either wanting to make a box joint jig or purchase one. I would like to hear what everyone thinks about them and which kind is best. I want one for my tablesaw. Thanks

Michael Perata
08-01-2004, 2:49 PM
Mike

Google on Box Joint Jig. I got 21,700 hits in .30 seconds. The first one from PlansNow looks like a winner.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-01-2004, 3:36 PM
Mike, I built the Box Joint Jig that was featured in Shop Notes Magazine. It was simple to build, easily adjustable, and was designed to ride in the miter slot of your tablesaw. I use it a lot for small decorative boxes and other items. It works very good, and was simple to build. I forget which issue the jig was featured in, but I have the issue in my shop if you need the information. I actually ordered this back issue just for this jig.

Michael Barry
08-01-2004, 8:39 PM
I think I built that same jig Kevin's talking about. I say I think it's the one because in the couple of years since I built it I haven't used it. Not because it's a bad design or anything like that, it's just that I'm kind of scared of it.
Right after I built it I was moving some stuff around in the shop and the jig got jostled off a fairly high shelf and whacked me in the head. 11 staples. My kids were calling me "Zipperhead" for the longest time. It's just got some kind of ominous Mojo about it now.
I should probably dust it off and give it a try. Just to break the spell.

MB

Richard McComas
08-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Since I already had the Leigh dovetail jig I went ahead and got the finger joint template to go with it. I've been very have with it, easy to set up and makes a ton of different sized box joints. I find in a lot of cases if prefer the box joint to the dovetail joint.